• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Speedo replacement...

Pointman0853

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am considering replacing the stock speedo in my A-0 truck with one of the GPS type units that are prevalent on the online auction sites.

Has anyone here done this?

Can anyone tell me the diameter of the mounting hole on the A-0 trucks for the speedo?

Pointman

coachgeo

Don't have to get too fancy.... granted you can if you want too. Example... get an inexpensive heads up display unit and project a phone app speedo up to it. Makes it available for map projection too where speed is often shown as well.

Pointman0853

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have been using a phone app called Rally Blitz. It works well, but I want the phone reserved for other duties. Plus this app really sucks power out of the phone so it needs to be plugged in to power at all times. With dimensions I can get the right replacement and just drop it in.

Pointan

wandering neurons

I've used several of the cheap heads-up displays from the "big-A" site. My Zombie Emergency Response Vehicle (kit HUMMER) has a goofy speedometer, so the HUD is the replacement. The HUDs rely on GPS for speed and time, and you'll need a VIN plug to power the HUD. My HUD has a mini-USB cord that terminates in an OBD II plug for power. I've used a standard mini-USB cord plugged into the HUD to power it, but it complains if I power it that way. USB is 5v, but the unit is expecting 12v from the OBD II port which is non-existent. But it works...

coachgeo

I've used several of the cheap heads-up displays ... The HUDs rely on GPS for speed and time, and you'll need a VIN plug to power the HUD. My HUD has a mini-USB cord that terminates in an OBD II plug for power. I've used a standard mini-USB cord plugged into the HUD to power it, but it complains if I power it that way. USB is 5v, but the unit is expecting 12v from the OBD II port which is non-existent. But it works...
Appologize have not set mine up yet... for all I know it is a piece of crap. But it is NOT of the OBD type. It is the type that simply shows a reflection of what ever is on your phone. Does NOT have a plug too OBD port. Didn't go that route cause........ we have no OBD port to plug too. Got it at WallyWorld

Last edited:

wandering neurons

Understood, neither my Zombie Truck nor my M1081 have OBD. I bought a plug that allows me to feed the OBD plug that services the HUD. So I go from +12v to the OBD cable that feeds the HUD. Not elegant but works. And keeps my phone off the dash.

Appologize have not set mine up yet... for all I know it is a piece of crap. But it is NOT of the OBD type. It is the type that simply shows a reflection of what ever is on your phone. Does NOT have a plug too OBD port. Didn't go that route cause........ we have no OBD port to plug too. Got it at WallyWorld

Pointman0853

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK, I ordered a GPS type unit that should match the hole in the panel. I only needs power, a ground and a small gps sensor, that I will test out by taping in an inconspicuous spot on the windshield. We'll see how it does on our way to Overland Expo...

Pointman

coachgeo

I fiddled with my HUD and welll.... so far it sucks. Pretty simple.... basically a womans compact. Just a flip up mirror you lay your phone by. There is fancier ones of course. What sucks mostly though is there is not yet an app that will reverse your phone screen to a mirror image so when it reflects up to the HUD..... you would see things in correct orientation instead of it all being backassward. I was under assumption such animal existed but nooooooooooo......... there is whole nav. apps that display in reverse..... but not apps that are much good compared to google maps or waze. So you have to learn a whole new app... or learn how to read backward and reversed.

Another option is a laptop or tablet and mirror phone to it via USB or bluetooth from frome phone to lap top or tablet screen.

UPDATE: Have found but not tried yet that google maps does have a feature that will reverse the turn arrow and the street name allowing for a typical reflective type HUD to display them in a readable format.

Last edited:

coachgeo

Sorry for hijacking this thread about HUD. Moderator please pull out the HUD post and put them in a new thread on setting up HUD in an LMTV

Pointman0853

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok folks, here is the final install on this Speedo Post. Here is what I ordered from a popular online site: Samdo 85mm SOG COG ODO TRIP Meter

The reasons for choosing this model was that it would fit the existing hole in the panel, and that it was GPS powered which avoided the need to re-calibrate after installing my 3.07 gear-sets. It also had a non-resettable odo, a trip odo that re-sets at each power down, and a compass direction indicator. I believe these were made for sailboats, and it offered an easy change from miles to Km via a small button on the back.

The big test was driving to Overland Expo. The unit was easy to install and there were only three wires to power it, plus the small cable to the GPS Antenna. One wire for Batt +, one for ground and one for the back light. I taped into the existing speedo wires for what was needed and powered it up. The display is easy to read and the back-light worked great at night.

I ran this side by side with my Garmin 600 Montana for the duration of the trip. I did notice a slight error on the Samdo unit which I attributed to the temporary antenna placement.

Overall, pretty happy with the setup and can recommend it if you are looking for an easy replacement.

Pointman

Speedo 052218.jpg

coachgeo

you mention antenna...... so this unit has it's own gps? If so can it's gps be tapped into for other uses such as plugging to a laptop or tablet that does NOT have gps for use with mapping software etc?

Last edited:

Pointman0853

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I do not see why not. Its is a small 1.5 by 1.5 inch square module, similar to what I have seen for Garmin and XM radio units. I have never tried to 'T' these so that would be a neat trick to run multiple GPS units off of one 'antenna'..

Pointman

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks