• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Speedometer Cable / Jerking Needle

cg25713

Recently the needle on my speedometer began jerking. Are there any known fixes or issues on the speedometer cable? I assume the cable is easy to replace.

papakb

Slip the speedometer cable to the right angle gearbox out of the sleeve, clean and relube it with Sta-Lube (white lithium grease).

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did not see a reply to your question but YES that is what you need to do, clean up the cable once its out and re-lube with light lithium grease just a decent reasonable amount and reinstall that will likely take care of the problem but if it doesnt then you will have to replace the cable!

Action

I did not see a reply to your question but YES that is what you need to do, clean up the cable once its out and re-lube with light lithium grease just a decent reasonable amount and reinstall that will likely take care of the problem but if it doesnt then you will have to replace the cable!
or the pin...

cg25713

Thank you Karl & Action. Much appreciated. I assume I should also disconnect the speedo end as well to make sure it's fully extended when I re-install it? R u guys sure? Nothing to loose - if I can't pull it out or push it all the way back, I'll just replace it. Nothing to loose and good experiment. I'll try it and report back with my results for others. Thank you all. Action - is your comment a peace offering? I was starting to really like you and we have the same truck. I'm a northerner and you need to account for that. Plus I mostly drink spirits from your state. Know you're smiling. Thanks again. us-surplus.com

Last edited:

cg25713

Gentlemen: I started to do this but have a quick question. Do I loosen the large top nut closer to the cable or the smaller one closer to the gear box? Or hood bottom nut and loosen top one? I just don’t want to loose anything or mess it up. Any help would be appreciated.06FF1A32-2168-4269-B01C-C23EDD1B6486.jpeg

papakb

Disconnect the speedo cable from the back of the speedometer and pull the cable out of the sleeve from inside the vehicle. There's no need to disconnect the right angle drive unless your going to replace the short cable between it and the trans.

cg25713

Thank you. I removed, lubricated and reinstalled the shaft. I have it reconnected at the speedo but can’t seem to get the pin on gear box side back into the cable housing and on the shaft. Is the shaft square on this end and fits into pin? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

cg25713

Sorry to keep bothering you all on this. The good news is my speedometer is running smoothly now - the bad news is that it's about 5 MPH toot fast. I tested it with a speedo app on my phone and the app matched a digital speed warning sign in my area. Any ideas on this? Is this normal? Are there any adjustments I can make? My first thought was to just go ahead and replace the cable. My concern is the faster inaccurate speed will erroneously add millage.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is not a cable issue. It is either an issue with the speedometer gear being wrong or with your tires being too tall.

cg25713

Thanks Doc: Do you mean the gears in speedo itself or L shape gear at transfer case? I think u r right - b/c if the cable was an issue it would either jerk like it did before or be too slow. Taking that a step a further - its likely being driven too fast by the gear at transfer case - don't u think. I started playing with it (see above) because I thought odometer was going too fast for what I was driving. Not sure if its worth going nuts over right now.

Also, how do I shorten my tires? I have the tires inflated to the pressure on the wheel well.

Action

Wouldn't your tires be too short? You want the HMMWV to be moving faster than what it is now , to match the speedo...

The elbow is attached to a piece stuck in the transfer case. That piece is held in place with a half circle clip and one bolt. That is the piece that needs to be clocked in the correct position. There are different gears available to accomodate for diff ratios, etc. Below is what the gear looks like.

1620666962228.png

cg25713

Action: I did a little research and have 2 questions: 1) Do you know which gear I should try? How many teeth? What color?; and 2) what is the gear ratio for our trucks? I think we both have M1152A1 ~ correct? Did you change the gear in your truck? Much appreciated.

p.s. Couldn’t it be that the angle of speedo gear in the tc is off a little bit?

pps: it’s on page 397 of 9-2320-280-24P-2 - thanks

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks