• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Spin on fuel filter mod

hoplite666

Did the spin on fuel filter mod today.
Ill start by saying that everything you need to know about doing this mod can very easily be found by using the search feature and taking some time to sort through the various parts lists other members have provided.
I ended up totally hijacking the design and parts used by several of the guys here. Thanks for that!
With that being said, I still found myself walking up and down the aisles of Home Depot trying to find the appropriate fittings. I figured Id post some picks of the packaging of what I ended up buying for you guys that have not yet done this mod and are thinking about it.

After some thought I ended up ordering the Napa fuel filter base #4770. This base apparently has more filter options. (according to other users)
These are the fittings I bought. They allow you to reduce down from the 1/2 inch holes on the base back down to the 3/8 and 1/4 inch fuel lines.
Brass fittings.jpg spin on filter parts.jpg
And here it is all plumbed up All set up.jpg
This particular filter set up did require that I make a small riser which I bolted to the existing mounting bracket (used some thin galvanized steel from Home Depot) to avoid clearance issues with the bottom of the filter and the valve cover. (same as other members)

Last edited by a moderator:

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I also wandered around Home Depot for a while collecting fittings, then over to Napa for a pressure gauge and petcock. The petcock can be helpful for using a vacuum pump to pull fuel through the filter for filling, and it can also bleed off pressure before you change the filter or perform other maintenance. I was surprised to see the pressure gauge still showing pressure 30 minutes after I shut the engine off.

The first two pictures show the fittings laid out on the floor in my conception of how I wanted to put it together, the second two show what I ended up doing.

Filter01.jpgFilter02.jpgFilter05.jpgFilter04.jpg

V8Astro

Mainsail, what kind of pressure you get running at idle?

This mod in general is great if you like to run non-diesel fuels (WMO,trans fluid). The filters are cheap and have substantially more filtering surface area. AND it's NOT an exercise in patience to change.

I added an air bleed valve to mine (like shown above). I can prime the filter then disconnect the IP pink wire and have a helper crank the engine. This usually purges the air out of the filter housing. Quick and easy....fires right up!

Last edited:

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mainsail, what kind of pressure you get running at idle?
The gauge indicates between 9 and 10 psi at high idle, then when the idle drops it’s between 6 and 7 psi.

I thought about running another one on the output side to determine when it was time to change the filter, but that’s another $10 gauge and more fittings.

I installed the filter empty, then connected a vacuum pump (5th pic) to the petcock (4th pic) and pulled fuel into it. I have the pictures on the other thread, but in case anyone in the future finds this one instead I’ll go ahead and repost them here as well.

EDIT to add: The petcock I used was napa part 6660 http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/C...ass-Fitting-Drain-Cock/_/R-WH_6660_0006431802

Filter05.jpgFilter04.jpgFilter03.jpgFilter06.jpgFilter07.jpg

Last edited:

V8Astro

Thanks for that. I was going to add a guage to mine for that reason. You know what the clean filter pressure is. Not sure how much of an increase in pressure would warrant a new filter. I assume once it starts noticeably increasing it's time to go.

BTW looks like a nice clean truck. Thanks for the pics

hoplite666

UPdate.
This mod seems to (as of now) have fixed my issues with stalling then excessive cranking (to get it to start again )
after the truck sits overnight.

Russm

Just did this mod on my m1009.

The pictures of what connectors to buy from home depot really helped. I needed also a couple hose splicers since my existing hoses didn't look very worn (and looked like a big job to replace)
I deviated slightly on the mounting process: 3- 5/16"x 2.5" machine bolts used as the standoff. still looks very clean though.

Attachments

M1009CUCV03

I also wandered around Home Depot for a while collecting fittings, then over to Napa for a pressure gauge and petcock. The petcock can be helpful for using a vacuum pump to pull fuel through the filter for filling, and it can also bleed off pressure before you change the filter or perform other maintenance. I was surprised to see the pressure gauge still showing pressure 30 minutes after I shut the engine off.

The first two pictures show the fittings laid out on the floor in my conception of how I wanted to put it together, the second two show what I ended up doing.

View attachment 455988View attachment 455989View attachment 455990View attachment 455991
If you dont mind,Whats the make/model of your filter base,Thanks

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks