• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Spin-on Fuel Filters

rustystud

I'm starting to install my spin-on fuel filters I bought. I did not want to use the factory copper line since I wanted a field repairable type of hose. I decided to use the Teflon PTFE with stainless steel wrap hose. I know it's pricey, but very durable and repairable. I could have just went with a "DOT" poly hose like most over the road riggs use and also our busses, but I wanted something that could take a hit, and very hard to cut through. I also changed the routing of the hoses. I never liked the fuel hose just under the radiator like it is. Here is some pictures of my water/fuel filter. I mounted it so that I could change the filter sitting on my "NAPA" roller stool . As you can see from the pictures, it's mounted on the frame of the bed just above the fuel tank. Vacation Orcas Island  4-15 to 18-2014 108.jpg I plan on keeping this rig for awhile, and pretty soon I won't be able to crawl all over and under this truck, so make it user friendly now !Vacation Orcas Island  4-15 to 18-2014 103.jpgVacation Orcas Island  4-15 to 18-2014 107.jpg Next I plan on installing the primary and secondary fuel filters. I have also replaced all the poly hose on the return lines and fuel pump.003.jpg

yolner

What kind of fitting did you use to go from the inverted flare to the stainless steel hose in that first picture? I'm trying to do something similar but can't find a fitting that has a male inverted flare on one end and something like NPT or JIC on the other end.

peashooter

Nice, I'm interested in that braided line also what did you end up using (part numbers if you have them) and how did you route the line from the new primary location to the injector pump? ...... also did you change the elbow fitting that is in the injector pump (the one that doesn't want to come out) or did you reuse it somehow with your new line?

oddshot

I'm starting to install my spin-on fuel filters I bought.
Great Project! SUBSCRIBED

I also changed the routing of the hoses. I never liked the fuel hose just under the radiator like it is. Here is some pictures of my water/fuel filter. I mounted it so that I could change the filter sitting on my "NAPA" roller stool . As you can see from the pictures, it's mounted on the frame of the bed just above the fuel tank. View attachment 490633View attachment 490634
GREAT ... that's a good place. How did you run the line from the filter to the Secondary & Final?

Part Numbers Please.

Last edited:

rustystud

You upgraded all 3 filters? How much did the spin ons minus the hoses cost?
I got all the filters and bases from www.discountfleetsupply.com . They are a great source of "WIX filters and bases. I looked at all the bases available and choose the ones that would fit the filters I wanted to use. The first filter is a water/filter, the second is a 10 micron and the third is a 5 micron filter I believe. The total for the bases and filters came up to about $100.00 .

rustystud

002.jpg006.jpg
What kind of fitting did you use to go from the inverted flare to the stainless steel hose in that first picture? I'm trying to do something similar but can't find a fitting that has a male inverted flare on one end and something like NPT or JIC on the other end.
The fitting is a reusable fitting for PTFE stainless wrapped hose. It was an 5/8" inverted flare going to a 8AN hose size. Part # 22890-8-8 . I bought it at a "Parker" Hydraulic supply house. Here are some pictures of this style of fittings that PTFE hose uses. I love using this hose, it is extremely versatile, capable of 2000 psi and really high heat, with a multitude of fittings available, and the most important it is field repairable !

Last edited:

rustystud

I'll try and get better pictures of how I routed the hoses and what fittings I used. I started getting supplies for this project for over a year, so I don't remember all the part numbers, but I have the catalogs so I will try and get that info.

rustystud

So did you upgrade all 3 filters? The base and filter part#?
I have started to install the filters. So far I have installed the water/fuel filter. This is the one that takes the fuel from the tank to the injection pump. Next I plan on installing the secondary and primary filters, which I have already bought. (see pictures)
Time has been my major hurdle lately. What with work and home projects (spring time !) my deuce is sadly last on the list :(

Last edited:

M-1028

I replaced every fuel and air line on my deuce with parker serviceable hose and fittings. I'm not a fan of the copper lines, I had a couple crack and get pin holes due to rubbing. Now I carry extra hose on the truck and know I can fix it on the side of the road with simple tools.

rustystud

I replaced every fuel and air line on my deuce with parker serviceable hose and fittings. I'm not a fan of the copper lines, I had a couple crack and get pin holes due to rubbing. Now I carry extra hose on the truck and know I can fix it on the side of the road with simple tools.
That's exactly why I'm doing this to my truck ! Carry some spare hose coiled up nice and neat. Some spare fittings and tools, and your ready for the worst. It is almost impossible to replace copper lines in the field without a lot of tooling and expensive copper coils. It was a pain in the A$$ just to REMOVE the copper fuel lines ! I would really hate trying to replace this in the field ! Of course you could get "patches" ie: universal connectors with the proper ferrules, but then you have to cut out the bad sections and then try and "splice" in the repair. Not the way I like to repair things !

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks