• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Spindle nut torque spec?

welldigger

OK so I am currently replacing the seals and boots in my steer axle. I have everything removed except the inner axle seals. I'm going to knock those things out tomorrow afternoon and begin reassembly. The only thing I can't seem to get a strait answer on is what do I torque the spindle nuts to when I reassemble the spindle? I have searched and searched and maybe I'm just tired and overlooked it but I just can't find it. And I never can find what I'm looking for in the tech manuals....which is also frustrating. Apologies if this has been covered before.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
TM 9-2320-361-20 Chapter 9, Section I. Wheel, Hub, and Drum Maintenance.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
OK so I am currently replacing the seals and boots in my steer axle. I have everything removed except the inner axle seals. I'm going to knock those things out tomorrow afternoon and begin reassembly. The only thing I can't seem to get a strait answer on is what do I torque the spindle nuts to when I reassemble the spindle? I have searched and searched and maybe I'm just tired and overlooked it but I just can't find it. And I never can find what I'm looking for in the tech manuals....which is also frustrating. Apologies if this has been covered before.
I found this.....................

Countryboy21
08-02-2011 18:46
[HR][/HR]​
just got mine done and took it for a test drive. what to the recommended spec to set the axle nut too? i might have to wrench down on that some more. i used 12# of grease on the front axles. i love lube!

aaron379
08-02-2011 19:42
[HR][/HR]​
the axel nut just needs to be snug do not over tighten it and do not keep it too loose... after driving it feel the axel cover and see if it is cool if it is burning hot the nut it to tight and you will burn out the bearings

Mike929
08-03-2011 04:32
[HR][/HR]​
Quote:

[HR][/HR]​
Originally Posted by aaron379 (Post 906946)
the axle nut just needs to be snug do not over tighten it and do not keep it too loose... after driving it feel the axle cover and see if it is cool if it is burning hot the nut it to tight and you will burn out the bearings
[HR][/HR]​
I went through a couple of bearings on my '76 Trans Am before I learned that a little loose is better then a little tight when securing the castle nut on the front spindle of that car.

The procedure was to tighten it to set the the bearings then back off before securing the nut. Assume there is a similar procedure for the Deuce?

davey8943
08-03-2011 07:34
[HR][/HR]​
1 Attachment(s)
Wheel Bearing adjustments are covered in TM 2320-361-24-1 work package 189..... I pasted it below for reference.

Basically, Tighten the nut to 50 foot pounds, then back off 1/8 of a turn.
it is from
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/8460-front-axle-seals-boots-stepxstep.html

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks