• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Sprucing up the Gull Wing

How should I complet the exterior of my Gull Wing Shop Van?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So I am getting ready to get the Gull Wing fixed up for parade / rally season.

I was thinking about the exterior appearance and I could use some input on the paint and windows.

A local fire district gutted her to use as transport and a mini command station. Then they cut holes on the wings and installed sliding windows.
And if that weren't enough, they cut out the track from the ceiling that was used for a trolley and hoist. Also where the rear bumped out they cut away the slide out header and enlarged the rear window in the door.

If anyone has pictures of how the rear is supposed to look, (from the inside and out) I would greatly appreciate you sharing them with us.

So the questions before you are should I keep the fire engine red paint job?
After all they door deals are almost new. Or should I go for a solid OD paint job or for a3 color camo paint job?

Also should I remove the windows and stitch the metal back in place, or leave them as is?

Other pieces of info I am looking for are:

1) How to adjust or disconnect the speed governor. It is used to keep the PTO powered generator in a tight RPM window, but doesn't do much for ease in driving. Sounds like I am always rev'ing the engine as I drive her around.

2) In the rear there is a fuel fired heater, box shaped, not like those for under the hoods. Does anyone have a operations manual for it?

Thank you for your help.

Attachments

Last edited:

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here are pictures of the hacked up door, the fuel fired heater sitting next to the PTO driven generator, a picture of the device used to set the governor speed, dash plate. Sorry about the flash streaks, just took the pictures in the dark.

Attachments

Last edited:

mdmorgan

AM3 U.S. Navy
Definitely gotta do something about the paint, the pics make it look bubble gum pink! As far as the windows go, guess it depends how accurate you want it to be, I think they look fine.

AaronW

I really like the winter theme of your other trucks. I'd keep the windows for now. You can alway close up the holes later, if after using it, you decide you want them gone.

Cool truck Tony!

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Steel Soldiers Supporter
atankersdad - It already has 14.00x20 NDTs on it now.
Although they have duels on the rear axle and singles on the middle axle.

I am really tempted to put a set of 16.00x20s on her.
Driving here home for the 1st time I had to go under some train tracks.
I kept thinking I was going to rub on the roof of the 1 way tunnel.
But I will have to do some height measurements.
She might wind up looking like a pregnant roller skate.

Also if you were going to mount an antenna on her where would you put it. :deadhorse:
I have read most all the antenna placement threads and I have seen them on the front bumper or the side of the bed.
But this poor girl doesn't have a bed, which is my antenna location preference.
Working at the CB shop we always mounted the antennas as high as possible above the ground plane.

Aaron - you wouldn't be ashamed to have here in your parade convoy with windows?

WOW - equal votes for everything but RED.

My buddy Mike thought she would look great in Navy gray with black lettering from the boat he was stationed on.

Last edited:

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanx for the pix mcmullag.

I really want to find out how that trapizoidal plate above the door is mounted.

And what is that color of light green that the interior is painted?

Does anyone know of anything, other than a ships porthole, that has round glass window like the pix in post #7.

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am really surprised that so many of those participating in the poll are OK with the truck having windows.
The first thing I thought when I saw her was
" Oh great now I have to come up with curtains for the interior. The military doesn't have curtains! Blinds maybe, but not curtains"

Next thing I know people are gong to be asking if the carpet is camo too.:oops:

Attachments

Last edited:

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Those non-stock windows have gots ta go. They really make the truck look bubba. Other than that, nothing beats a portable metal shop! If you don't want a shop, portable BBQ deck, camper, hot tub, whatever floats your boat.

I know, I'm gonna have a bunch saying that it's hypocritical of me to say the windows are too bubba, but putting a BBQ or hot tub in the back isn't. :shock:

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Mike/maddawg,

Do you think it would be less bubba & more military if I transplanted in a few sets of windows out of a M109A3 box?

Anyone know of a wrecked M109A3 box in the Pacific Northwest?

Do those windows come out easy?

That is rayzer's avatar.

Attachments

Last edited:

srodocker

hrm i wonder what type of windows you can do for that thing. you trying to bring that up this summer? i want to see your unimog too...and all your other toys. shoot i need to come over there for fri night/sat and come home sunday hahah

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Scott -

You are always welcome.
But wait for it to get a little warmer and not so windy.
But beware, in addition to letting you drive and climb over all the rigs, I will put you to work on one of my many projects I still have to do.

I want to bring them all over to the rally. I need to be schooled in what truck & trailer weight combinations I would be allowed to pull in the state of WA.

Maybe a compromise will be to host a mini rally over here.
We do have a big Veterans Day Parade, but that is November and it may be getting to chilly for folks to camp out. But after the 2010 PNW Rally, some might consider it warm over here.

I didn't see your entry in the Gull Wing poll.:tin hat:

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Steel Soldiers Supporter
109a3 was what I was thinking also.
Now I need to find one wrecked with good windows for cheap.

Amazing this thread has 404 views with only 39 folks voting.

I know that more than 10% of the population has an opinion.

Heck, people are always telling me what they think I should do. rofl

Come on and vote people.[thumbzup]

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks