• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Stand alone glow plug control? Bypass "smart" box?

DeuceNewb

Where I live it seems to only be cold enough to need the glow plugs in the morning for the first start of the day or the couple months of winter we have. I've already gone through one "smart" box and it's dead now too...and I'm wondering why I can't just rig up a relay to the glow plugs similar to the old ford style, and just have a switch rigged up and just count to 5 or 10 then release and start? I don't like blowing $500+ on something that will just die again only when I actually need it.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can't see why not. I have that set up on my M1028A1 CUCV. It has worked well for over a decade. I just used a push button switch from tractors supply. Then a GM glow plug relay to handle the heavy current.

NV555

I can't see why not. I have that set up on my M1028A1 CUCV. It has worked well for over a decade. I just used a push button switch from tractors supply. Then a GM glow plug relay to handle the heavy current.
Same here with out CUCV set up. Works well as long as the person only holds the button 10 seconds. Had one guy think it was the start switch and held it down until it started. LOL it never started for him.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I always thought the glow plugs were really 12 volt plugs even through the system was 24 volt the glow plug controller stepped the voltage down for the plugs. And when the box shorted out it would put 24 volts to the plugs and burn them out.

NV555

I always thought the glow plugs were really 12 volt plugs even through the system was 24 volt the glow plug controller stepped the voltage down for the plugs. And when the box shorted out it would put 24 volts to the plugs and burn them out.
That's what I have read. The CUCV and HMMWV use differen't plugs. I'm sure someone knows why they are different.

dhaumann69166

I have my glow plugs on a push button in my Humvee. I just use regular 12v glow plugs for a 6.2/6.5 and they work fine. HMMWV’s have a different style plug than all the other stuff, humvee is round all others are a flat plug. I would try to stay with the 24v round end humvee plugs just so you don’t have to change connections. If it’s 40 or above I hold the button 6 to 8 seconds and colder days 10 to 12 seconds. I also have a small light that comes on when I push the button.

sue

I have also been under the impression that they are
12 volt, so I would just pull from one battery
with a push button

Augi

HMMWV glow plugs are 24v and have a round electrical connector. They are NOT the same as CUCV glow plugs (which are 12v and have a spade connector). The engine is the same in both trucks, but all of the accessories are different. So is the electrical system. The HMMWV control box does not step down the voltage. It feeds 24v to the glow plugs.

The part number on the plug tells all.

You can design a push button system to use either voltage glow plug as long as you know what you are doing. On the HMMWV I'd recommend sticking with 24v so you don't discharge the batteries in an unbalanced manner. Running 12v glow plugs off of one battery is a sure way to smoke the other one if you don't have a dual voltage alternator.

Augi

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks