• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Start and stall

wilco

We have a cucv pickup in our fire department. When we got it I changed the oil and filter as well as the fuel filter. We have driven it about 500 miles , 1 + year of service.

It has developed a problem when you cold start it. It will start and then stall a few second later, it is then hard to start and lacks power until it warms up.

I will change the fuel filter and bleed the system, and ideas if that is not the fix?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Look for a fuel leak at the fuel filter base. They are known to crack, allowing it to loose prime.

1986Blazerk5

Look for a fuel leak at the fuel filter base. They are known to crack, allowing it to loose prime.
I agree with that, there has been a lot of problems with this, mine was doing the same thing. But instead of the oem design I went with a spin on fuel filter. In my opinion its much better than the factory design

91W350

Look at those flexible rubber lines as well. They ran one from the filter block all the way to the fuel injection pump. All it takes is a crack big enough to draw air through. The fuel will siphon back, drawing air. It may be months or years before it gets bad enough to leak. I have been able to change that line by reaching under the intake from the driver's side and running a 1/4" drive extension between the intake runners. If you cannot get on the clamp, it is intake removal time. That is simple enough, I just did not want to buy the gaskets.

Sounds like your injection or distributor pump is still sealed as it is holding its prime. I have also seen the lift pump cause this problem, it is on the passenger's side of the block between the engine mount and lower radiator hose. It also has a rubber hose that runs from the bottom side of that pump to a line at the fuel filter. A leak down there will do the same thing. That lower line is a chore to replace as is the lift pump. I think a lot of guys just go electric instead. Glen

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks