• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Start up problem

ajbird

Have a m35a2 truck that's been sitting ...fuel looks good filters ok...tryed to fire it up and it's a little cold in upstate NY I gave it a small shot of starting fluid. It did start however ran at a very high rate (before you say it yes long enough for the starting fuild to burn off ) it ran at .high rate and there was no way of shutting the engine down,the t Handel engine stop wouldn't stop it and the fuel pedal being pushed didn't change anything. After about 10 minutes the truck rpm began to slow untill it quit on it's own and won't restart on it's own ..any idea guys ,?

Last edited by a moderator:

URSATDX

How high a rate (RPMS) was it running at for 10 minutes.
Search "Runaway diesel". The T handle you mention, is that the fuel shutoff switch?

ajbird

Was about 2500 rpm ..yes it was the fuel stop t handle ...All the cables were hooked up to the injection pump as they should have been also

Last edited:

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Any kind of smoke out the tailpipe? Black, blue, white? When it shut off, did it finally stop like someone put the brakes on or did it just kind of run out of fuel and slowly come to a stop? Have you checked your oil? Are the fuel filters now dry?

ajbird

It just started to slowly slow down and honestly I was too busy too look at the stack and the smoke color I was freaking out trying to think of a way to get it shut off ...I'm buying it and haveing it towed here tommarow so I'll be able to tinker and have a better look at things

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, oil, say from a turbo seal, is an uncontrolled fuel source. When the fuel source is depleted, the engine will stop running. Saw a bus for USC running on on WVO/bio diesel fail an injector and run away, smelled like KFC!

dmetalmiki

And of course anything and everything associated with the the hydraulic head components shut off seized is a real possibility, Before purchasing the truck with these known faults a 'fix it' price at minimum should be negotiated.
Next time have a CO2 fire extinguisher by the intake..WITH the intake mushroom OFF. If you experience that again you can stop it HARMLESSLY by making combustion Impossible. So, Be VERY careful as it sounds like you were somewhat fortunate the engine did not attempt to 'run' at 8800500 RPM!.
Peruse all posts on deuce engine / governor runaway.

ajbird

well I got it home and when I had the time to look at it, it appears to have fuel in the oil..alot to much ..did a quick search here and read on the fuel compensator and had a look....they have the one line looped as shown in the pics but the line that runs to the front T on the pump is still hooked up to the rear of the compensator. Could that be my problem?IMG_20180212_083327.jpg

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Editing original post to correct model truck. Deleted all A3 comments.

Your booster pump seal could be the problem.

With the fdc bypassed it is unlikely to be your problem.

Last edited:

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
well I got it home and when I had the time to look at it, it appears to have fuel in the oil..alot to much ..did a quick search here and read on the fuel compensator and had a look....they have the one line looped as shown in the pics but the line that runs to the front T on the pump is still hooked up to the rear of the compensator. Could that be my problem?View attachment 718550
Is this a multi-fuel motor or a caterpillar motor ?
You posted it is a M35A3 which has a caterpiller motor , at least post a picture of the whole motor so we can figure out what your working on.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Definitely an a2.

Would have been real nice for the op to get that right to start with, and or correct us on all the guessing.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Nah, it wasn't working hard, so no melted pistons.

The rpm is a concern, but I doubt you did much harm. Pull the fuel shut-off lever off the IP and make sure the linkage inside moves freely. Do not start it till the linkage does move freely. There is a sticky somewhere around here with info on it.

ajbird

Just ordered some new o rings I think ill start there...got a smoking deal on the truck it was abandoned along the road and the property owner sold it to me for 500.00 bucks the tow was more than that..In pa if you leave a vehicle on private property after 20 days it becomes property of the land owner and it had been two years. The landowner just wanted it gone but to make the sale legal I gave him the minimum taxable amount.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
ajbird don't feel too bad as many have made the same mistake of trying to start a multi fuel Deuce motor that has sat and not checked the fuel control. By taking out two screws you could have check the fuel control for moving free. No need to do anything else and it takes maybe five minutes. So much better than having to change your underwear. If the fuel control sticks bad enough the shut down cable will not work. Also always leave the engine shut down pulled out and locked in shut down position. Looks like the FDC is bypassed.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks