• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starter is acting up

kenn

My deuce has been getting worse over time when I start it. As long as the batteries have been sitting on the maintainer, it does it way less, but is becoming more frequent. For a while it would not do it after running for a while or if it was fresh off the maintainer. So... here's what it's doing.

When I press the start button it will spin but I assume it is not throwing out the gear to engage. I'll do it a couple of times and then it will kick over immediately. There are a couple of things I assume I can try but thought I'd ask first. Is there a way to lube a sticky throwout? Could it be either othe positive or negative coming off the battery (or both) have corroded to the point they aren't carrying enough current? Or should I just go ahead and replace the starter solenoid and/or whole starter?

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
My deuce has been getting worse over time when I start it. As long as the batteries have been sitting on the maintainer, it does it way less, but is becoming more frequent. For a while it would not do it after running for a while or if it was fresh off the maintainer. So... here's what it's doing.

When I press the start button it will spin but I assume it is not throwing out the gear to engage. I'll do it a couple of times and then it will kick over immediately. There are a couple of things I assume I can try but thought I'd ask first. Is there a way to lube a sticky throwout? Could it be either othe positive or negative coming off the battery (or both) have corroded to the point they aren't carrying enough current? Or should I just go ahead and replace the starter solenoid and/or whole starter?
Have you considered taking the solenoid apart and lightly sanding the big washer inside the "tube" and then wiping it down and reinstalling it? Sometimes just turning the (heavy copper) washer over is all you need to do...

Whatever you do, don't throw the old solenoid away.
They can definitely be fixed.

87cr250r

Starters have a clutch between the motor and stater gear. When this clutch fails it allows the motor to turn without turning the engine.

87cr250r

You should probably order a drive gear ahead of time.

I think yours is a 40MT but not sure.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Repairing/restoring/rebuilding the original is often preferred and can be way cheaper than alternatives.

IF someone wants to replace the original direct-drive starter with a modern gear-reduction starter, one needs a 39MT 24V 12 tooth starter.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you don't want to fool with the starter yourself, you can always take it to a rebuilder. I took the starter for my FLU419 to a local rebuilder and he made it look like new and it works flawlessly and for a very reasonable price. It only took him one day for the rebuild and he installed a new solenoid.

KN6KXR

It's sticky. Gummed up with old grease, dust, rust, etc... When the batteries are topped it has just that extra oomph to get out there but if not it sticks.... sometimes. Take it off and clean it up. While you're there take a look at the cables and grounds and stuff why not. Hardest part about the job is taking it off and putting it back. Really not that hard if you can do your filters you can do this. The longer you leave it the harder it'll get worked and that is what will take it out.

Shoot. I'm 4 years younger than my deuce and it takes WAY more to get me freed up. Like 3 or 4 visits to the chiropractor. I wish it were as easy.....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks