• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starter issue

cucvrus

Could it be a shim is required on the starter? It could get engaged and have too much pressure on the gears to become unengaged. I never done the other thing you mentioned. If its going to fail it will fail. Trust me on that. Nothing is infallible. But I say you are onto something getting the starter pulled and checked out. I used to be able to hear how deep the engagement was when the starter released but it has been so long since I had a starter fail I forget the sound. I change my starters about every 2 years and just keep rotating them in my stock of parts. Good Luck. The direct drive starter holds up longer under severe used in comparison to the gear reduction. That has been my experience.

82ABNMP

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Could it be a shim is required on the starter? It could get engaged and have too much pressure on the gears to become unengaged. I never done the other thing you mentioned. If its going to fail it will fail. Trust me on that. Nothing is infallible. But I say you are onto something getting the starter pulled and checked out. I used to be able to hear how deep the engagement was when the starter released but it has been so long since I had a starter fail I forget the sound. I change my starters about every 2 years and just keep rotating them in my stock of parts. Good Luck. The direct drive starter holds up longer under severe used in comparison to the gear reduction. That has been my experience.
Thanks, the starter looks to be stock GM style. Mostly I was wondering if it was operator error when I tried to start the truck on the unknown batteries which were low/weak and that’s what fried the solenoid on the starter? Thanks David

cucvrus

I would say it was going out long before that incident. Unless you were bearing down cranking on weak batteries the stock system works just fine. Many have starting issues and people tend to over crank them and that leads to starter system failures. Fix the long cranking start issue and all seems to work well in the stock system. I over maintain my vehicles and avoid all the issues. I depend on them to be reliable. Not as much anymore but I still have a few in my herd and under my control. In a few years I would like to be a 1 CUCV owner guy. I have grown weary of the work load. But still like it and strive to keep going as long as I can. Good Luck. A rebuilt starter cost less that $200. I would have a shop rebuild the current one you have. This is the vendor I use. Very reasonable and reliable. http://leidyrepair.com/

Barrman

Since it is basically a new to you used vehicle. You don’t know anything about it. The starter solenoid is unknown to you until it is pulled and looked at.

I had a non Delco solenoid on one of my trucks when it came to me. It stuck on and ran away one night. I don’t recall ever reading about a Delco solenoid hanging so pulling the starter off and having a look would be worth you time in my opinion. It will also let you look at the Bendix gear and fly whether the. If the flywheel has shiny teeth then your shim idea will come into play.

82ABNMP

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since it is basically a new to you used vehicle. You don’t know anything about it. The starter solenoid is unknown to you until it is pulled and looked at.

I had a non Delco solenoid on one of my trucks when it came to me. It stuck on and ran away one night. I don’t recall ever reading about a Delco solenoid hanging so pulling the starter off and having a look would be worth you time in my opinion. It will also let you look at the Bendix gear and fly whether the. If the flywheel has shiny teeth then your shim idea will come into play.

Thanks. Yeah, I know nothing about the truck except it made it home 2 hours and I stored in the barn at midnight. I really only tried to restart after sitting for several months, could just be timing on the starter, good thing is I got it out and down to the shop where I can pull out the starter. Really good vehicle otherwise.
Probably the solenoid sticking as the ignition switch and starter relay appear to be working.

David

Keith_J

My run away was due to a missing pinion retainer which allowed the starter to go over center so the return spring couldn't retract. Since the drive solenoid also makes the contact for the motor, it kept running.

Pull the starter.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks