• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starter Running on

PeeWeeQ

So, a few weeks ago, my starter crapped the bed in my work parking lot.

I am also going to interject here by saying that I am a nursing student with very little time on my hands at the moment--so, if I seem like I'm trying to just throw parts at the problem or am not willing to trace circuits, its only because (between working full-time, classes, studying, and clinicals) I am VERY limited on time.

Anyway, back to the parking lot...I bought a new 24V starter on Amazon--a friend of mine has had the same one in his M1009 for years--and I didn't have the money for an OEM (maybe next summer). I put installed it (lying on the cold ground of the parking lot) and as soon as I reconnected the battery (I have switches that allow me to quickly disconnect/isolate each battery), the starter starts turning the engine over without even having a key in the ignition. I thought it was probably a bad starter (easiest thing to eliminate with my limited time) so, after having the Beast towed home, I exchanged it for another. Mounted up that starter--same result.

Is there likely a short? Bad relay(s) (I have done the Doghead relay mod)? I have all of Saturday (tomorrow) off now, so, I'll be able to crawl under and explore, but, I'm looking for a good starting place. Again, until the starter pooped, the old beast was doing just fine.

Thank you all, ahead of time for your help!

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Almost certain you've got a dead starter relay. The "doghead relay" mod is a fix for this.

A great thread outlining the CUCV is here:

And of course the TM's are available here:

cucvrus

Is it possible that the small trigger wire on the starter or the big positive cable lug is hacked and making contact across both terminals? I have seen the horror of cables and wire ends on many vehicles. Check that out and report back. Where the starter comes from is not important. I have had genuine GM parts / starters fail. A C Delco starters are on 2020 Freightliners and we have had 2 in the past week that were bad. The trucks were brand new and they just clicked like no contact. They were under warranty and the Daimler mobile technician said he has been seeing more than usual fail. So if the part fits and works that is all that matters. I would dive under there with a mirror and flashlight and take a look see at the starter connections. Is the starter support bracket in place? If the gear on the starter gets jammed out in the ring gear it will stay engaged. Is shimming needed? Is the flywheel bad? Changing the starter relay is not the cure all to starter engagement issues. Good Luck. Happy Holidays. Report back.

PeeWeeQ

Well, I'm glad I installed those battery switches--no scrambling for wrenches when you smell fusible links burning (been through that before!) or when your starter is running on...

Anyway, since it is cheap, quick, and won't have me lying in the snow and ice, I'm going to try to replace the starter relay. If that's not it, well, CUCVRUS, I'll be hitting your list up there. I may do that anyway. I'll be done with school soon and will have more time (and energy).

BTW, is there a thread on shimming the starter?

Thanks all!

PeeWeeQ

NOT the relay....

Bummer--I was hoping for the simplest thing. Oh well, gives me the chance to dive in and learn some more. The support bracket is in place.

What gets me is that I don't even have the key in the ignition. That's why I think there must be a short. Sounds like I'll be crawling under there with a mirror and a flashlight.

Update: I thought I had actually posted the above. Anyway, I crawled underneath and got a better look at the connections. Apparently, I had the connector for the battery wire on the starter wrong and it was making extra contact in two different places. After I sorted that out and reconnected the batts, no run-on starter and it started beautifully when I turned the key. I wish I had taken some pics, but, I was just happy to have the beast back running!

Thanks again for the help, I'm happy it was something simple, and I hope this thread can point someone else in the right direction...

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great news, thanks for the update.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks