• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

starting a cucv W/O glow plugs

84cucv1ton

i tried to start my uncles cucv today. with 2 new 1000cca batteries and a new gear reduction starter. it would not start. it was 75 outside today.

cranked over real good. i am i wrong? its warm so i thought it would start. i have new glow plugs just didnt get that far yet.

thanks

ida34

The truck will not start cold even at 75 without the glow plugs. If the truck had been running you can get by without plugs for a while. The compression is too low for them to start without some sort of aid to heat the combustion chamber.

mangus580

Its not so much a compression issue, its the 'pre-chamber' issue. Being an indirect injection system, the fuel is not injected into the cylinder itself, therefore it doesnt get the compression heat on slower RPM's

Michael

WD-40 doesn't work any more. They changed the propellant which used to be methane? to carbon dioxide. I have used silicon spray with good results. You can use just a whiff of ether if you are 100% sure the glow plugs won't come on.

CCATLETT1984

the dry silicone spray is supposed to be glow plug safe.

ether works the best if the glow plugs are not functioning at all, but you need to figure out why the gp's arent working and get it fixed. esp with winter coming fast.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks