• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Steel Soldiers and Desert Rat visit Howard's

Desert Rat

That's right! The big guns were out at Howard's today! We were very successful in aquiring a BUNCH of parts. In particular we got a new to the forum Gama Goat! But not just any Gama either! This lady has an insulated Red Cross end curtain, rear heater and a bunch of other parts ready to be restored to operating condition. She has only 3700 miles on her. She even has a transfer case! After nearly 13 hours of hard searching, scrounging and collecting the only (and I do mean ONLY) parts she now does not have are the engine and transmission. We located everything else from engine and transmission mounts to a rebuildable tailgate (the only one we found rebuildable), trailer bows and side rails, an undamaged engine cover, a NOS exhaust system, a complete windshield, seats, seatbelts, soft top to use as a template, doors, side windows, battery boxes, gurney seats and so much more! we didn't get out of Howard's until almost 2200 Central Time. Talk about a full day!

Chris has crashed out here to get a few quality hours of sleep before heading back to WV. We both have pics. of the Gama to show everyone. After I get some rest I'll post what I have.

Ken,

I'll give you a call later on in the afternoon and update you on your requests.

RDixie,

Chris has your oil gauge in the Gama somewhere.

RDD,

I have a bunch more stuff for you too.

Time for me to go :smurf: and zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Kenny, they should have loaded it. Cris is bringing it to Charleston and will eventually bring it here to VA for storage and completion. We are very exited about the project.

Desert Rat

Buddy helped us load her up. The trailer was completely used up by the Goat. As a matter of fact, the center tire is on the fender over the passenger side tires, the passenger side tires of the goat hang over the edge by about four inches or so. That's how tight it is!

Bjorn,
You're not going to believe all of what we got for this project. The end curtain needs to be restored, but it's beautiful as it is. The cover was insulated too, but we figure y'all will get the idea of how to make an insulated cover for the back by looking at the end curtain. The driver's seat is also adjustable. We also got some gun stalks but literally ran out of time to get the release handles. I figure by the way Buddy at Howard's is figureing those handles will still be there when Ken and I return in December. Here's some pics. of the steelsoldiers.com Gama Goat. Chris should be getting home in a couple of hours with her. We even have a passenger side replacement fender and a set of old style and new style turn signal lenses for her. Personally, I prefer the old style. They look more like the period in which she was constructed.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is sooooo beautiful! I glad the transfer case is there, it had me concerned, probably not a low cost item. We shouldn't have any trouble finding the engine and transmission. The original 3-53 had an aluminum head/block, which may harder to find than the cast iron version.
Great job, Brent and Chris and a big "THANK YOU" for Buddy and Howard!

Desert Rat

Bjorn,
So long as I get to drive her when my family and I go visit Maine on occasion, I'll call it even! Both Chris and I cut fingers and drew blood on her. We figure about 1/2 pint would fix us up ! Anyway, for me, it was a labor of love to save her from the wreckers.

BTW, the steering works on both ends too!

Elwenil

When you guys get it to Virginia, I might have to pop down and help wrench on it a bit, if you don't mind. Maybe when you find the engine and trans I can come help with the install. I'd love the chance to get dirty working on something that cool. You guys let me know if you need any help.

red devils dude

WOW :shocked: it's so beautiful,DS at the rate your going you will never sleep again thank's to anybody
who helped get my parts I am going to have a plaqe made up for when I parade the truck it will have the names
of all who helped me hhmmm this is going to be a LONG list. [^]

Desert Rat

Another note, all the wheels turn. None are dragging. We also have all the brake drums as well. Believe me, if there is anything missing it's a small detail difficult to remember when you're getting a complete truck together in one day.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hey all, I rolled into Charleston after 1pm today. I had to stop for fuel a couple of times and once to jack the front end up and center it up on the trailer. I notice that Brent didn't mention the conditions at Howard's so I'll fill y'all in. The weather ranged from partly to mostly crappy. It pretty much precipitated all day. Drizzle to torrential downpour. We were both soaked to the frickin bone, covered in ticks, and swattin deer flies. The roads were in pretty good shape until after the first big downpour.

After that there was a deep layer of sticky, slimy mud everywhere. My Dodge got molested. She hasn't been real dirty in the whole time I have owned her. Yesterday changed that. That nasty mud stuck to our boots and got everywhere. You had to kick and beat the mud off your shoes or it would just keep building up and up. The truck was slinging mud as we went from Goat to Goat gathering parts. The roads were rutted and slimy so were figting to stay out of the deepest ruts. The best part is when the front end gets in one set and the back gets in another and you crab down the road. All those years of off-roading paid off since we escaped with no dents or scrapes on my baby.

Getting Buddy to get the Goat out of the woods was a small victory compared to finishing up our parts pulling mission. By the time we pulled the last part we were both getting a little nutso. We were taking the exhaust sytem out of one Goat and there was this bracket in the way. Brent says we need to unbolt that and I kinda flipped out and tore it off. It was cathartic I guess because that gave me one more wind and helped me carry crap out of the woods to the truck.

Heading out of Howards after 10pm sucked bigtime. We were both half-dead. We had to stop several times on the way to Brent's to readjust loads in Brents car or on the trailer. I was going to leave from there and drive straight thru, but by the time we got there I had been up 22 hours and was not feeling too spunky. I crashed for about three hours and then blasted off again. Thanks for the hospitality Brent.

When I got to Charleston I had my Dad meet me at his shop so we could unload everything. I was beat down and dog tired with a pounding headache by that point. We chained the Goat to his deuce and I pulled the trailer out from under it. I guess we should have used more chain because the Goat really got rolling and rammed into the side of Dad's 756 bed. Thankfully there was no apparent damage to either vehicle.

I got home finally about 4:30 pm after having to stop on the way and wrangle a little fawn out of the road on the way home. The road is on the side of the mountain so there was a cliff above and a cliff below. I chased him up the hill away from town and into the woods. Poor little buck, or doe I guess. I showered FINALLY and got about an hour of sleep on the couch.

I'll post up pics tomorrow. I got a bunch. Oh, by the way Brent. I pulled off to fuel up one time and the one tire had come off the fender and was tucked neatly between. That was frickin tight.

The Phrase of the Day for yesterday was quipped by Buddy Hammonds: "Them boys are just crazy for them Gammy Goats." Yes we are Buddy. Thanks for your help in feeding the habit!

Desert Rat

WOW Chris, now that's what I call an adventure! Let's see the time table was pushed back by about, um, 26 hours from my computations. You've got to be incredibly sore! I'm still recovering from yesterday. BTW, my knee is completely black and blue from nailing that tie rod end on the five ton we worked on. I've had my leg elevated with ice for most of today. I'm working the stiffness out slowly.

Sorry about not giving the weather report. It's been raining steadily since 1500 yesterday, slowly letting up now. Last night when I took off my shoes and socks my feet were parboiled and REALLY pruny. Even after drying off my feet they were still shriveled. All of Harold's briars were stuck to the inside of my boots, or so it seems. I'm still picking out the thorny seeds this evening!

I'm glad Baby didn't get scratched! There were times I thought for sure she'd get it with either a good tree branch or another truck or something. You're definitely a very skilled driver. It was nice to be sitting on the right side for a change. Not too often I'm a passenger. It was a treat I won't forget!

To the forum: If anyone needs someone they can trust Chris is one I highly recommend. He's the MAN when it comes to some tough driving. I know I can trust him implicitly with anything.
He's also an even more generous and hard-working person in person than on the forum. We really do have a great leader in Chris! I'd follow him to the very end!
Believe me, there were times I was trying hard to keep up with Chris. He's quite a leader!

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great job, Chris and Brent! You are young, you can take it. The over 60 crowd would have a tougher time, I'm sure (me).
I brought my deuce to Howard's in March of this year and he didn't let me drive on any trails because, among other things, he didn't want the clay spread out all over the higway when leaving.
Walking in the stuff was an experience, I would gradually get the feeling that I was getting taller as the orange clay got stuck in layers under my boots.

Some images from that trip: http://imageevent.com/cranetruck/visittogreenvilleky

For you interested in visiting the Goat after Chris brings it here, you are all welcome to stop by and bring your MV's, we have plenty of space and "off-road" terrain for driving.

Cheers,

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Desert Rat said:
To the forum: If anyone needs someone they can trust Chris is one I highly recommend. He's the MAN when it comes to some tough driving. I know I can trust him implicitly with anything.
He's also an even more generous and hard-working person in person than on the forum. We really do have a great leader in Chris! I'd follow him to the very end!
Believe me, there were times I was trying hard to keep up with Chris. He's quite a leader!
:blush: :blush: :blush: :blush:

Thanks for the kind words Brent and thanks for all of your help. Don't let the Brent fool you folks, he worked so hard Saturday, he would have made a 20-something cry. It was a heckofa adventure. Not one that I want to repeat for at least a month or two. Besides if I pull another day trip turned to 2 day trip with my wife, I'll really be in the Goat house.

Pics to follow.

Desert Rat

Chris,
We forgot (selective retention?) to tell about the squeaky bolts on one of the Goats! Folks, when we were removing a set of mud flaps from another Gama. The two inside bolts were soooo rusted and stiff and.., well you get the idea, while we were removing the bolts they made such a squeal dogs in Nashville and Evansville were howling! Not only were the squaks high pitched that we almost got splitting headaches. Unfortunately for us the volume control knob was broken at the "Way Beyond Deaf" setting. People who died 50 years ago were yelling at us to stop! Lesson relearned: Always bring PB or some other lubricant with you to at least save your hearing.

Right Chris?

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Definitely! Oh and we should have grabbed one of those control boxes, for the flashers I believe, becuase this one is missing it. We also forgot the side marker lights, but I think those are common to some other M-series trucks.

Goat Parts

TNJ Murray Parts

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Here's the first round of pics after Buddy drug the Goat out of the woods and the last one is with the it on the trailer at Brent's yesterday morning.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
The pics start with a close-up in the dark at Brent's yesterday and finish with a series of pics from the supply yard where it sits now. The last shot is of the inside of the tractor. It is bung full of parts.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
These last pics start with a shot of all the parts in the trailer body and end with the Goat sitting on the ground next to Dad's 756, which we ran into with the Goat when it came off the trailer. Whoops. Guess those wheels and hubs are free after all. No damage done than just a could of scratches and such. Perfect end to an insane weekend. :rolleyes:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks