• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Steering Knuckle Boots, Again

MATT

The knuckle boots I get have "Top" stamped on them, The left side zipper installs towards the front of the truck, but, the right side zipper is toward the rear and interferes with the steering stop bolt. Is this right?

jwaller

I just got a set of boots from saturn and they are the same for both sides so I would say yes one of them has to go one way and the other has to go oppsite. these do not have top stamped though only a part number.

JRBAMATEX

On my truck the right side boot zipper is toward the rear and the left side boot zipper is toward the front. I don't get any interference with the steering stop bolt.

MATT

There is no actual interference with the steering stop, the zipper just ends up being right in the way, a little tight in that area. Thanks for all the responses, I just want to be sure I have been installing them correctly.

jasonjc

They do USA 6X6 has them. If you whant to deal with him there have been good thing said and bad thing said.
I have no frist hand knolage of him just seen the boots on his web site.

MATT

It would be a pain to replace them without the zipper, you would have to take the backing plate and such off, wouldn't you? I can replace them in 20minutes, the worst part is removing/installing the tire!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
True, you would have to dissasemble the front axle but I would rather do that just to maintenance the bearings and such. If there's no zipper, it can't leak or come apart.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't have a big problem with the zipper, after installation, it is sealed with silicone based "Goop" and the part of the zipper that hangs out it snipped off.

marksgarage2

I agree Kenny, but 4 of us bought usa 6x6's boots not even a year ago. All of are boots are junk already. His product is CRAP as far as we are concernd. Does anybody else make a Quality one peice boot? I would rather maintain the zippers than install his garbage!

MATT

I see the boots being torn more than the zipper failing. A lot of the time the inner clamp bolt punctures the boot due to poor placement and lenght of the bolt. A little seepage from the zipper is normal.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I won't buy from USA6X6 just because. I've always used zipper boots myself. Seems things have changed. I had a supply of them quite a while back that did have the zipper sewn in but the boot wasn't cut. The directions advised that the best install was tearing the frot end down but this could be circumvented by slicing the rubber unter the zippers to open the boot. Wish I had more and could remember where I got em.

m35a2cowner

Where does the greese go?

A while back I read something in the forum about putting a lot of grease in the knuckle boots once they were replaced. My question is where and how much I jacked the axle up and started putting in some there but it wouldn't go in very fast Could someone give me a heads up? The parade is coming up soon. Thanks, and a big thanks to all Veterans who gave so much to make this country so great.

m35a2cowner

grease

Thanks for the graphic. Can you put grease in from the top or bottom? I tried putting it in the lower grease fitting but it didn't go in very fast. Can I put it in, as in the picture, until it appears at the plugs? Thanks

jwaller

I just did one of mine yesterday and I put in about 1.5lbs and I left some of the old stuff in there. I still couldnt get it to come out of the "vent" holes either. was much easier than I had imagined. removed the shield and that was it, R&R'd the old boot and zipped in the new one. not bad at all.

Gadget

What's the trick to putting these boots on?

Every time I try to turn the boot inside out so I can put the inner band on, it pops right back to it's original shape. The rubber seems too springy to stay folded back/inside out.

How do you keep the boot inside out while you place it and tighten the inner band?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks