• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

steering qustion

Big CASE

Hello all , I am the new guy in fl ..
I have a m35A2 Kaiser Jeep 1968.
The Steering box is not working right ? I can make a right hand turns. and the wheel will go back to center,
but it will not make a left at all ?.... can anyone help me out and tell me whats going on or how to fix it .
it has oil, all the bolts are in it, nothing is broke that I can see ..
I am going to starting to take it apart on 04.29.09/ and look in the steering box and see if there is something broke off .
duns any one have a blue print of a STEERING BOX ?.
Thanks Case

dabtl

NickD did an article in MV Magazine #116 sometime back about repairing the steering gear. I found it extremely helpful.

Any number of things could be wrong, from a defective bushing, to bad bearings. The drag link is the first item to examine as it is also the easiest. Memphis has a repair kit if you find excessive wear there. Memphis also has all the steering gear parts for repairs there also.

Big CASE

hey thanks for the help ...
So so far all of the outer steering arms, box and linking looks to be good , No brakes or bin's.
so I am thinking it must be in the box is self ???
I guest I will have to put it out and check it ,( look at it. play with it ) fix's it...
and this sucks ... And I broke my leg to day ...dam it
again thanks yall

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
hey thanks for the help ...
So so far all of the outer steering arms, box and linking looks to be good , No brakes or bin's.
so I am thinking it must be in the box is self ???
I guest I will have to put it out and check it ,( look at it. play with it ) fix's it...
and this sucks ... And I broke my leg to day ...dam it
again thanks yall
Ok, I'll bite - how did you break your leg?

kc5mzd

I was going to sugest lifting the tires off the ground and then try turning the wheel to see if it makes a diffrence. But the broken leg threw me off???

jimmcld

The easiest thing to check is the drag link, and you will have to take it off in order to remove the steering gear anyway. Disconnect the drag link and check to see if you are getting full movement of the pitman arm with it removed. If so, it's not the steering gear.

If you have a drag link bit for your impact wrench, it only takes a minute to remove the drag link.

Jake0147

That seems odd... It sounds more like an "outside the steering box" problem than an "inside the steering box" problem.
Does it not steer left as in it hits a dead lock and won't go any further", or does it not steer left as in "it does steer left but it is much much harder to steer left than it is to steer right"?
Is it at road speed (even slow roads) or is it at parking lot speeds or is it sitting still. (you didn't break your leg by trying to steer a deuce that was sitting still did you?

Big CASE

#1, I broke my leg by falling out of the Truck (M35A2)... LOL... I do not know how I did it, but I did ..I steeped out of the Truck and the next thing I new I was looking at a drive line .. I broke the right leg at the ankle . I know HAHAHA .

#2 the steering was working find ? and all of a sunned it would not go left .. you can make it go left by pulling the sh*t out of it ,but you need two people to do it . I pulled off the lineage at the tire and if you turn the wheel it will go left and right just find . I jacked up the truck and turn the wheels by hand and it work just find .
I have check the oil, the rods ,I don't see any thing wrong??? so I was thing it has to be in the box , RIGHT ???

dabtl

Check the drag link first. You have to anyway to remove the steering gear.

When I looked at the drag link on my first deuce the wear was unbelievable. I got the repair kit from Memphis and it took just minutes to put together.

If your drag link ends are as worn, get the kit, fix the link and then decide if the box is working.

Big CASE

Hey All,
I went back and recheck all of the linkage in the steering , It is all good. so I stared to pull out the steering box ,I got the wheel out and I FOUND IT ... There was some metal gas- it's or Shem's that had gotten down in to the steering box . on the worm gear and bond it up . I still pull out the steering box and check it . It all looked to be good ,so now I am putting it all back it and I should have it dun tomorrow ??? I will some pictures up of what I found on the gear .
talk to you'll Later

Big CASE

hello all, sorry I did not get back to you all sooner ...
I have too wait on parts too come in . like i said it was some metal from the Shem's that are in the steering box ,and I found that I had broke the barring in the steering box .
but now I am up and going good thank to Memphis Equipment. here are some pictures of what I broke..
Thanks too all the SS that help me out .
PS . and the broke leg is going to be OK. 4 more weeks in a boot HEY :roll:

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks