• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Steering wheels types and OD dimensions

WhoMe08721

Hey guys,

Looking for a new Steering wheel and wanted to know how many types were used and where they all the same size??? I have found two types and the one I have is 20inch OD and I have read that some were 18inch OD. Also any good suggestions to prevent them from cracking over time???

Attachments

tobyS

First picture appears to be the smaller ones used on the M35A3 that has air assist. Others look bigger.

Cracking....I hear that epoxy can make a rather good crack filler or even be used to build large areas back up, but I am not there on my project that needs serious work....probably $20-30 of epoxy. In reality, I should buy new. I would not hesitate to fill cracks like your second photo with epoxy.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
tobyS is right, the original M35 steering wheel size was 20 in. The A3, with power steering, received a slightly smaller steering wheel with 18 in diameter. I changed my wheel for an A3 wheel before I fitted power steering, so I can confidently say that the smaller wheel gives you a bit more space and does not change the way the truck drives. I did not feel a difference in force needed to turn the wheel. Technically, you would have to pull harder on a smaller wheel but it did not seem to make any difference.
My old steering wheel was made from hard compound (the type that cracks) whereas the A3 wheel is softer and I like that better.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks