• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

stencils

ruffrider84

does anyone know anybody that makes the stencils for the m998 such as lift here, 24v, usmc, etc etc and help would be great
just got a m998 and doing a full restore on her

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have not found any of the commercial MV stencil makers to produce accurate 'modern' USMC sets (by 'modern' I mean markings for roughly the last 30 years).
However a local print shop can probably produce what you need.

I don't know if you have original markings on your vehicle to reproduce, but the following is generally what you need.
Note that Marine markings follow a standard pattern, but can wander a bit in application.
And they change over time - modern markings are slightly different from Vietnam-era markings, which differ from WWII era.

The lettering for the vehicle ID (USMC and the 6 numbers) are done in MD Military A font. The characters are 2" tall, with 1/4" stroke. If you'll notice the M, it looks like a V with legs. On Humvees, this is usually on top of the hood on both side, and centered on the tailgate.
The one exception to this is Oshkosh, on vehicles that come lettered from their factory they use the font used for most other military stencils, which I believe is Gothic BE. Oshkosh lettered the vehicles their way, regardless of standard USMC practice.

The individual vehicle serial number is always 6 numerals, no letters. The first two numbers indicate the series, most Humvees are 61xxxx or 62xxxx. (The latest production ones may differ slightly, I haven't checked lately).
The only normal unit markings will be an RUC, in the form of an M followed by 5 digits. An example would be M11160 (1/5 or 1st Battalion, 5th Marines).
This will be applied in 2" characters on both sides of the vehicle, usually on the doors, "somewhere" on the back, and often on the front. Since Humvees originally had removable doors, their RUC number was placed on the side below the door opening, this low placement followed into hard-door versions.

Most of the rest of the stencils on Humvees are done in 1" characters. USMC vehicles tire pressure used to be applied as the number followed by PSI, but the Army version of TP followed by the numbers has been creeping in over the years and is now as common as the PSI version.

If you want to go that far, there is usually an embarkation code on most vehicles, on or near the front right. On Humvees, it is usually on top of the front right corner of the hood.

If you need them, I have a bunch of photographs taken in motor pools on Camp Pendleton, and the museum out there, that I can share.

Cheers

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I have not found any of the commercial MV stencil makers to produce accurate 'modern' USMC sets (by 'modern' I mean markings for roughly the last 30 years).
However a local print shop can probably produce what you need.

I don't know if you have original markings on your vehicle to reproduce, but the following is generally what you need.
Note that Marine markings follow a standard pattern, but can wander a bit in application.
And they change over time - modern markings are slightly different from Vietnam-era markings, which differ from WWII era.

The lettering for the vehicle ID (USMC and the 6 numbers) are done in MD Military A font. The characters are 2" tall, with 1/4" stroke. If you'll notice the M, it looks like a V with legs. On Humvees, this is usually on top of the hood on both side, and centered on the tailgate.
The one exception to this is Oshkosh, on vehicles that come lettered from their factory they use the font used for most other military stencils, which I believe is Gothic BE. Oshkosh lettered the vehicles their way, regardless of standard USMC practice.

The individual vehicle serial number is always 6 numerals, no letters. The first two numbers indicate the series, most Humvees are 61xxxx or 62xxxx. (The latest production ones may differ slightly, I haven't checked lately).
The only normal unit markings will be an RUC, in the form of an M followed by 5 digits. An example would be M11160 (1/5 or 1st Battalion, 5th Marines).
This will be applied in 2" characters on both sides of the vehicle, usually on the doors, "somewhere" on the back, and often on the front. Since Humvees originally had removable doors, their RUC number was placed on the side below the door opening, this low placement followed into hard-door versions.

Most of the rest of the stencils on Humvees are done in 1" characters. USMC vehicles tire pressure used to be applied as the number followed by PSI, but the Army version of TP followed by the numbers has been creeping in over the years and is now as common as the PSI version.

If you want to go that far, there is usually an embarkation code on most vehicles, on or near the front right. On Humvees, it is usually on top of the front right corner of the hood.

If you need them, I have a bunch of photographs taken in motor pools on Camp Pendleton, and the museum out there, that I can share.

Cheers
Maybe somebody could snap a few pictures of the stencils - more likely a painted truck and then measure the font height and line width. We make stencils and a lot of other things but without a set of measurements, it is nothing but a guessing game.

If there is a CAD person that could create a DXF file, us or anybody with a cutter can create what you need. OR if somebody has Adobe illustrator, they could create what you need to the same effect.

Tim Mullaney

springer1981

I have no idea what they used for the HMMWV or anything else but when I went looking I found Stencil Machines on epay. If you do a search for Military Stencil Machine you will get lots of results. Two common models are Marsh and Ideal. They are die cutters that write what you want in a cut out stencil. The sizes range from 1/8" to 1". This font seems to match my lettering on my HMMWV.

Here is an example picture I pulled from an auction.

Stencil.jpg

Last edited:

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe somebody could snap a few pictures of the stencils - more likely a painted truck and then measure the font height and line width. We make stencils and a lot of other things but without a set of measurements, it is nothing but a guessing game.
I measured the lettering on the actual Marine vehicles, that's where the 2" tall with 1/4" stroke (line width) came from. Overall width on "full" characters (M, O etc) is
1 3/8".
I don't recall off the top of my head the spacing between letters, which is why I didn't quote it, I'll have to dig into my notes or go back out to one of the trucks and measure that. I think it's 1/4"

The smaller stuff is consistent with what is produced with the Marsh machines mentioned above. However, few folks are going to be willing to expend the $$ needed to buy those in all the needed sizes, they are not inexpensive.

The USMC on vehicle identifiers is more closely spaced than can be achieved with brass stencils (though they use those to touch up other stuff, change UIC/RUC etc.) and is applied with a pre-cut stencil.

I have loads of pictures I took of the vehicle markings in place.

Cheers

PS - to show just how pedantically detail-oriented I can I get about this topic, here is what I measured off my M813's original USMC markings when I was getting ready to cut my own stencils. :) Note that the actual depth of the 'V' can vary a little over different vehicles/time periods.

Stencil USMC M - Copy.jpg

Last edited:

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have no idea what they used for the HMMWV or anything else but when I went looking I found Stencil Machines on epay. If you do a search for Military Stencil Machine you will get lots of results. Two common models are Marsh and Ideal. They are die cutters that write what you want in a cut out stencil. The sizes range from 1/8" to 1". This font seems to match my lettering on my HMMWV.

Here is an example picture I pulled from an auction.

View attachment 856448
Those machines ain’t cheap!

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Get the correct font, then blow up the letters to between 100 and 200, and print out what you want on paper and then use a razor to cut out the letters and numbers.

In the old days they used to sell alpha numeric kits where you would get the letters as cut outs alpha numerically A through Z / 0 through 9, and you would draw what you wanted on paper and then cut it out.

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This may or may not help you or others, but I do have a pair of Marsh electric-operated stencil machines, both of them make 1/2" characters, purchased in the 1990's at an Army DRMO . . Springer1981 is correct, they are heavy as heck . I shipped one via UPS many years ago and it busted out of a solid wooden crate. Didn't help that they chose to ignore the "hand truck only" and "do not convey" stamps all over the crate .. According to my local Oops driver at the time, the distribution center probably put it on a conveyor regardless thus it did a free-fall into a pile of other packages .. If I recall correctly, they are just over 100#

Last edited:

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Make your own. I use a machine called a Silhouette Cameo. Cost around $400 and you can cut just about any font decal or stencil. I use Orocal 651 outdoor vinyl for the material. It last forever. Here are some of my projects.

Attachments

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Make your own. I use a machine called a Silhouette Cameo. Cost around $400 and you can cut just about any font decal or stencil. I use Orocal 651 outdoor vinyl for the material. It last forever. Here are some of my projects.
I really like the projects!
The jeep is particularly cool...

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I have one of those machines but I think it only does 1/2"
What do you "feed" that machine with? Can it take a CAD file of some sort - or does it use a specific set of fonts? What do you do for shapes? Can you import a file for shapes (could be letters or an image) and then scale it? If there is an import function, what kind of files will it open?

If you can open a DXF, that is the most common CAD file type. If so, you can be in business for whatever size letters you might want to cut...

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What do you "feed" that machine with? Can it take a CAD file of some sort - or does it use a specific set of fonts? What do you do for shapes? Can you import a file for shapes (could be letters or an image) and then scale it? If there is an import function, what kind of files will it open?

If you can open a DXF, that is the most common CAD file type. If so, you can be in business for whatever size letters you might want to cut...
Sorry it looks like the machine in post #6 we feed it heavy paper stock, only one font and sort of a pain to use.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Sorry it looks like the machine in post #6 we feed it heavy paper stock, only one font and sort of a pain to use.
Ah. Okay, so it is easier than anything with a computer tied to it. Limited to one size, but definitely cool to have!

Still, bet it could be used as a template for larger letters. Cut what you want, then scan it, then trace it - then push that file to a cutter that will follow the shape. The BEST PART of the cutter you have is that it really is a stencil cutter so there won't be any "letter parts" that fall out of a cad cutter...

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am more amazed by the projects than by the printer. You sure are an artist. (Printer is cool too. 😉)

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I also bought one of the PC driven stencil cutting machines and the font that was recommended but have never spent the time to get it going, they are not too expensive, I think I have burned up too much grey matter over the years to learn new stuff.......

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks