• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Stock Fuel filter question.. (Sensor Seal?)

Milkman357

Ok,
I got this sweet old girl from Wisconsin Recently...
M-1009.. 41,000...

I'm not sure she had the best mechanic.. SHE'S in good hands now!

With the help of this site I already fixed the vacuum leak that was causing shifting problems..

Now I'm tracking the fuel leak...
It's coming from the filter assembly..
I'm not against the spin on, but I think there may be an issue with the base that I can fix..

OK the stock filter has 4 holes with rubber seals..
Inlet.. outlet, drain and Sensor..
If You look on the base where the sensor is... there looks like an area that would prevent a good seal.. I'd liken it to built up crud.. I couldn't pry it off with a screw driver.. to make a smooth surface.. but I tried.

QUESTION IS THIS.. DO I NEED A GOOD SEAL on that O ring to sensor?

I've read the sensor is obsolete... so I'm thinking I shouldn't worry about damaging anything...
I can either take a dremel tool and smooth this area out a little.. or I could delete this option somehow?

Not related to this problem.. but My Glow Plug WAIT light always comes on.. even when the engine is warm...

Sounds like a manual Glow Plug switch in my future huh?

This CUCV starts real sweet.. in the 30 degrees we've had lately..
The WAIT light seems to stay on a LONGGGG time though...

WORRY? or FORGETABOUTIT?

What say YOU?

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wasted a lot of time and money on the stock box filter base. I did get the cover pried off and the O-ring was wasted. Couldn't find a new o-ring so I bought an new filter and base. Oops, bought the M88o version, whhich doesn't work in a chevy. Finally had enough and converted it. I'm keeping the wiring intact; I'll cut the wires off the old base and plug them in to the system plgs so corrosion stays at a minimum and if i want to at some time in the future, I can easily change it back to the evil box.

Glow plug...don't know. I'd have to go into the books. my problem went away when I changed the plugs and did the doghead realay.

Hope this helps, regardless, good luck with your new green machine!:beer:

cpf240

Not related to this problem.. but My Glow Plug WAIT light always comes on.. even when the engine is warm...

WORRY? or FORGETABOUTIT?

What say YOU?
What do I say? I say follow the GP system testing procedure in the TMs. My guess would be that there is a problem with the GP engine temp sensor. :)

1stSarge

This CUCV starts real sweet.. in the 30 degrees we've had lately..
The WAIT light seems to stay on a LONGGGG time though...

WORRY? or FORGETABOUTIT?

What say YOU?
Loose/dirty/corroded/damaged connection to the temperature sensor. Or a bad temperature sensor.

combatmech

As far as your fuel gripe, there are replacment filters and filter bases all over fleebay. If thats the way you want to go. I dont have any experience with the spin on stuff, pretty sure there is a ton of info about it around the site. And ditto to what 1stSarge said....

southdave

abandon the box fillter, it was junk when installed @ factory.. There is a bunch of spin on options.... yes your gp will cycle til the motor gets up to temp.. like mention before check your temp sending unit.. and maybe research the SOP of the GP system. that my opinion

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks