• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Strange HEMTT

Jones

That's an early version (M984) of the Wrecker/Recovery vehicle. Later versions incorporated the mid-ships winch along with some other changes.

DMgunn

Those look like the wheels I need for my 5-ton. Anyone up for some quick cash??............
No, I am not serious.

What is the purpose of those vertical hydraulic cylinders between the rear tandems?

Crazyguyla

Re: RE: Strange HEMTT

DMgunn said:
What is the purpose of those vertical hydraulic cylinders between the rear tandems?
They are outriggers for the crane.

This was an experimental version for wrecker/ recovery operations. One of my units had one. It was great for lifting, but the crane couldn't handle things being slung from it while doing towing operations. Most of them are probably out of the inventory now, chalked up as a bad idea. rofl Our unit found out the hard way the vehicle was phased out the inventory when we tried to order vehicle specific parts and was told, they are no longer available *L*

Skratch

Actually, that is not an experimental version.
It is the first wrecker in the HEMTT line, the original M984 . . . while it wasn't the best version they produced it was by far my favorite, as I ran one for 3 years.
It does have a midship main drag line winch, as well as the boom mounted winch line.
You could very easily use the boom for towing, it had braces that had to be installed to do it though.
Not exactly a "user friendly"design with all the braces that had to be manually installed to do any "heavy" lifting with it, those braces also made rotating the boom impossible when they were installed.
I used mine to pull the pack on our M88 on a regular basis.

The more common versions of the HEMTT wrecker that most of us have seen, started life as the M984E1, "E" for experimental.
Once they were finally approved as a final model, they changed designations to M984A1 . . . we had my original M984 in my unit for 2 years before the first M984E1 showed up in our motorpool . . . and yes it was an E1 version, not an A1, based on the data plate on the dash.

Not sure what changed when the A2, and A3 came about . . . but I know the lifting capacity of the A1 wasn't near as great as the original 984 when the braces were installed and the boom being midship made it kind of a pain to use compared to mine.
But as far as towing was concerned the A1 was far superior . . . no more tow bars :(

Anyway I hope that clears up any minor confusion.
I love these rigs to death and those are some of the best pics I've seen of an original M984 since I got out.

Oh and the M88A1 is in the third pic, off to the left.
Tracked heavy recovery unit based on the M60 tank chassis.

Alredneck

Banned
Man all the time I spent at hood and walking around the different museums I dont remember that rig, maybe I was drooling over the older stuff, or the russian victors! Cool I like my later wrecker version a lil better though but cool non the less!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks