• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Strange noise from new 818

Monty

I finally got my 818 here, (my newest GL purchase), after going through a preoperation PM, I found that three of the 6tls are bad. After pulling the two batterys out of my duece I got the truck to fire right up.

I put the transmission in reverse and let out the clutch I heard a squeling noise just as the clutch started to engage then it stopped when the clutch was all the way out and the truck was moving.

It did it once when I put it into first, and then again when it went into reverse, when I shifted it into any higher gears I could hear it making the noise.

Is it a throwout bearing noise?

Pictures to come

98hd

I finally got my 818 here, (my newest GL purchase), after going through a preoperation PM, I found that three of the 6tls are bad. After pulling the two batterys out of my duece I got the truck to fire right up.

I put the transmission in reverse and let out the clutch I heard a squeling noise just as the clutch started to engage then it stopped when the clutch was all the way out and the truck was moving.

It did it once when I put it into first, and then again when it went into reverse, when I shifted it into any higher gears I could hear it making the noise.

Is it a throwout bearing noise?

Pictures to come
I seem to remember mine doing something similar. When I replaced the trans and clutch, the throwout bearing was completely toast.

I think you can pull the inspection cover on the trans and should be able to see the bearing up there.

Scrounger

That certainly sounds like a throw out bearing to me also. Unfortunately the bearing can not be greased and since the truck(s) sit so long/ are some what old the bearings tend to dry out. The good news is that if one has a good sized transmission jack it only takes about two hours to replace one. And unless there is something else going on in the bell housing, leaking seals, etc., the pressure plate and disk rarely where out.

rlwm211

This does not sound good for your throw out bearing!

Even if you can grease the bearing, squealing is a sound made when something is NOT TURNING moving against something that IS! Generally the damage done in that circumstance is fatal for a bearing.

Take a look, and maybe, just maybe, you will be able to lubricate the bearing.....

I will keep my fingers crossed for you.

G-Force

If its a throwout bearing it would make a sound whenever the clutch is disengaged with the pedal. Since you said it squeals when the clutch starts engaging and the truck starts to move it sounds like the clutch disc is worn out. I hope I'm wrong.

rlwm211

I hate to be picky

If its a throwout bearing it would make a sound whenever the clutch is disengaged with the pedal. Since you said it squeals when the clutch starts engaging and the truck starts to move it sounds like the clutch disc is worn out. I hope I'm wrong.
This is not correct if you think about it.

The throw out bearing only moves when the pedal is pressed and the bearing comes into contact with the fingers of the pressure plate. When you push the clutch, the bearing presses on the pressure plate fingers releasing the tension on the clutch disk, disengaging the engine from the transmission, allowing you to change the transmission gear. The throw out bearing is not in contact with the pressure plate when your foot is off the clutch
(It should not be and that can cause a premature failure if it is).

If the bearing is NOT SPINNING at that time (when your foot is off the clutch), how can it make noise? It cannot.

Typically, a throw out bearing gives some warning that it is about to fail. The squeal it makes when you use the clutch is indicative of the pending absolute failure.

Certainly I would pull the inspection cover and with the engine NOT RUNNING see if you can reach it with a tool or probe, and give it a spin. Listen carefully for any sound, and try to see if any grinding or roughness is occurring while the bearing turns. There is not a lot of room inside a bell housing and this may or may not be possible to do.

Generally there is a grease fitting on bearing that greases the tube that the bearing slides on and if you grease that, be very judicious on how much grease you apply. It does not take much and if any gets on the clutch surfaces, you will have to replace the clutch.

I wish you lots of luck and hope you find the problem soon.

BTW...great looking truck....

Last edited:

G-Force

This is not correct if you think about it.

The throw out bearing only moves when the pedal is pressed and the bearing comes into contact with the fingers of the pressure plate. When you push the clutch, the bearing presses on the pressure plate fingers releasing the tension on the clutch disk, disengaging the engine from the transmission, allowing you to change the transmission gear. The throw out bearing is not in contact with the pressure plate when your foot is off the clutch
(It should not be and that can cause a premature failure if it is).

If the bearing is NOT SPINNING at that time (when your foot is off the clutch), how can it make noise? It cannot.

Typically, a throw out bearing gives some warning that it is about to fail. The squeal it makes when you use the clutch is indicative of the pending absolute failure.

Certainly I would pull the inspection cover and with the engine NOT RUNNING see if you can reach it with a tool or probe, and give it a spin. Listen carefully for any sound, and try to see if any grinding or roughness is occurring while the bearing turns. There is not a lot of room inside a bell housing and this may or may not be possible to do.

Generally there is a grease fitting on bearing that greases the tube that the bearing slides on and if you grease that, be very judicious on how much grease you apply. It does not take much and if any gets on the clutch surfaces, you will have to replace the clutch.

I wish you lots of luck and hope you find the problem soon.

BTW...great looking truck....
Wow rlwm211 I think you had better reread my post again but this time a little S...L..O..W..E..R!!!!!

rlwm211

I apologize for my misreading the previous post I referenced by G-Force...

I misunderstood the intended meaning. Upon a very careful re-reading, I agree that the information presented was correct.

Monty

Thanks to everyone who's helped out, I'll pick up a throw out bearing and gather up some help to get the transmission/transfercase pulled.

I take it remove the shifter and disconect the three drive shafts, remove the crossmember bolts and bellhousing bolts then slide it back to gain access.

Any other pointers? I've done a bunch of car/pickup truck throwouts bearings but nothing this big.

Thanks again for the help, I'll see what I can dig up for more pictures.

Chad

Scrounger

The way I have done them is to remove the bolts that hold the floor pan in, and then lift the pan over the shifter. Leave the shifter in place.
Then while in the cab remove the upper bell housing bolts.
Remove the sixteen bolts from the jack shaft, that’s the shaft that connects the transmission to the transfer case.
Remove the air lines that are connected to the transmission, noting their location for later reinstall.
Remove the clutch linkage.
Remove the bolts that connect the front drive shaft to the transfer case, them swing it over to the side so it is out of the way.
Place transmission jack under transmission, then remove remaining bell housing bolts.
Slide transmission back to remove throw out bearing. There will be enough room to get the bearing out without removing anything else; yes it will be a little tight. Just note how the carrier for the bearing clips on the cross shaft to see how to install a new one.
Then reinstall the parts in reverse order.

Pappa-G

Forget the trans jack you can do it all from uptop. When I replaced the T/O bearing on my 818 I used a high lift jack between the windshield and rear window opening from that i used a cable comealong to suspend the transmission. When doing the reassembeling I used a cargo strap to keep the trans held tight to the engine and bumped the starter allowing the trans to fully engauge the engine. it made that last 1/2 inch the easiest not the hardest.

Good Luck!

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks