• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

String vs can filters

Howdy y'all,
About to do my 1st complete filter and oil change for my Duce. Purchased 6 gal of Rotella 15w 40 for the engine, and Travelers 80w 90 for the Tranny and Diffs. I was so excited when my filters arrived from Eastern.....until I saw the string type fuel filter. So I am asking for wisdom from those whom have gone before me, what is a better product, the "can" type filter or the string? And is the can type a reusable product? If necessary I will go buy the can type, and leave the string type in the package and place in my "Just in case" on the road spare parts box. Thanking y'all in advance, and I am sure it has been posted before, but I couldn't find in the massive volume of info we have here at SS.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Are you asking about the fuel filters? I have been selling secondary fuel filters for the deuce for about 3 years now. I got them from gov liquidation and they are both the pleated style and the "spun yarn" style. They both have the same NSN sticker on them and have the same correct gaskets. I see no difference in them other than maybe a little more surface area with the yarn style. I have used both and noticed no difference.

Hope this helps.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As Gimp says, the spun yarn secondary fuel filter is very effective. Old school technology that works well. Keep the pleated elements for the road service kit. Make sure you replace the primary fuel filter at the same time.

snowtrac nome

And the only one that is serviceable is the water separator filter which usually looks like a stack of penny's or a hydroscopic screen all other fuel filters are throw away when their service life has ended .

rustystud

Howdy y'all,
About to do my 1st complete filter and oil change for my Duce. Purchased 6 gal of Rotella 15w 40 for the engine, and Travelers 80w 90 for the Tranny and Diffs. I was so excited when my filters arrived from Eastern.....until I saw the string type fuel filter. So I am asking for wisdom from those whom have gone before me, what is a better product, the "can" type filter or the string? And is the can type a reusable product? If necessary I will go buy the can type, and leave the string type in the package and place in my "Just in case" on the road spare parts box. Thanking y'all in advance, and I am sure it has been posted before, but I couldn't find in the massive volume of info we have here at SS.
Actually the "Yarn" type filter is an excellent fuel filter ! Much better then the "pleated" style. More surface area and stronger. They cost more to make too, that is why they where replaced with the pleated style. Just a side note. You cannot beat "Gimpyrobb's" prices on the filters. Really.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks