• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Stripping an M1009 to repurpose components.

Ruffrider

Hello, just purchased a 1009 that has not cranked in 18 years. So I am pulling the axles and tranny. I will use the axles for my M719 project to get above 55mph. Also will install a IH 345 with 727 an transfer case. May have steering issues with frt axle.

Lostforwords

Welcome Brother!

You Sir are one lucky son of a gun! You should add some details about year, how and how much you got your M1009.
Hopefuly myself or someone here can help you along the way with what sounds like a rebuild journey!

richingalveston

if you are scrapping the 1009 let others know here, we might buy some of the parts. just because it has not started in that long does not mean it wont run. If you plan to save the truck, pull the heads and take a look before going very far.

Ruffrider

Sorry folks I will not put any more money in trying to crank this truck
It has a butchered up wiring harnes an an attempted 12v conversion. A fully charged HD battery will not turn it over fast enuf to crank. So will do as stated an use the parts as stated. Unless a gas burner will swap in to this tranny?? Body in far shape.

cucvrus

Far gone or far from gone? Hacked up CUCV's are easy to come by. It's the genuine originals that are getting scarce. Good Luck. If it hacked crush it or part it out.

Ruffrider

Body I fair condition, needs rocker panels under doors a pax door window an a rear glass handle also then small dents an minor rust. I could fix it all in a week. More interested in M719. Will get some pics up soon. Rich will do

Ruffrider

Hello, just purchased a 1009 that has not cranked in 18 years. So I am pulling the axles and tranny. I will use the axles for my M719 project to get above 55mph. Also will install a IH 345 with 727 an transfer case. May have steering issues with frt axle.

Attachments

Miah

While i sympathize for the folk looking for good trucks, i do understand the opposite side of things as well. I'm using my old m1009 as parts for the new one & it's a shame since it's likely nicer than many other folks project vehicles, but at the same time I can't get a different parts truck for anywhere near as cheap as my current parts truck. Bird in hand...etc etc etc. :(

cucvrus

What CUCV parts could you possibly need that are not readily available? I mean I wouldn't trash a classic for the sake of a few parts when there are hundreds of parts available and 95% of the parts are the same as every 1981-1991 civilian Chevy / GMC truck and cab chassis. They are heading into the crushers everyday. Lots of usable parts on this unit. But too many vehicles and so little time. Next year it will be a new truck again or a refrigerator. Good Luck. Be Safe.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks