• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Stubborn steering arm

odnorth

Took the 4 nuts off holding it down tried tapping it with a hammer thinking it would pop right off did'nt, put a puller on it with lots of pressure nothing, soaked it with WD40 for the night if that does'nt work may try heat, did l miss something or can it be seized on there.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
don't tap it, hit it with a heavy large hammer as hard as you can. you have to shock the 4 tapered keys out. and be sure to re torque it properly. 140 ft lb i think...........

tm america

yep get a bigger hammer .wd40 is almost worthless on stuff like that. get some pb blaster i put the puller on it put a good amount of pressure on it the go to town with the hammer

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry, I just don't see the need or any advantage at all of using a "puller" in this case. As Tom mentioned the "keys" (split dowels) have to come loose first and that will only occur after hitting the arm from both sides, alternatively. A good penetrant oil surely helps.
Once unseated everything can be pulled by hand!

G.

Attachments

tiger422

The puller will only make it tighter the taper cone shape locks have to come out first. They look like washers with nuts removed hamer down on arm and drive small screwdriver in slot of locks give them a twist.
Jim

Barrman

Or, just pull the studs with a stud puller. My Gasser steering arm was very stubborn and no sledge helped. I pulled the studs in about 5 minutes. Of course, this was after I wasted an hour or more beating on the darn thing.

bsorcs

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Danced around with this yesterday. Fortunately found this thread and was able to get one key loose using a 3# hammer and a drift. The other 3 were seriously stuck. Ended up slipping a 1-inch socket over the studs and banging with a short-handled 8# sledge. The 3 came off in about 2 minutes. Slick!

bs

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't pussyfoot with these things. I back the nuts off enough to see plenty of daylight between them and the cone but not far enough that I can damage the stud if I miss with the hammer. Then I go to town on the siides of the steering arm. In all these years it has never taken more than a minute or two to get them loose.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks