• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Stuck brake hose fittings

47to70

Wanted to crack the fittings on the rear brake hoses (am replacing them) before soldier #2 showed up to help bleed the brakes. The hoses are at least 100 years old (yeah, on a 50-year-old truck). Was only able to break one of the four nuts lose, two per hose of course, the three others will not budge. Who has a trick to help this 71-year-old rookie novice mechanic get the fittings on the rubber hoses to brake free?

ToddJK

I had a brake job once that the brake lines had a hole in them. This was on a pick up, but the nut on the metal line from the brake cylinder to the main line was frozen. Since that line had to be replaced, I cut it off at the nut and the new line came with a nut on it, so I was able to put a socket on it and break it loose. If you don't want to cut anything and I don't blame you if that's your decision, as long as the nut isn't stripping, use a buddy wrench for more leverage or use a longer wrench.

47to70

I had thought of cutting the line and getting a box end wrench on it (brass fittings), but your idea is better. Just hate to cut the line as there is no going back and am CDL (combat dead lined) for real. May have to do it if no other solution comes up. Thanks.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you tried using a flare wrench? They get a much better grip than an open-end wrench. I've used a flare wrench with a piece of pipe over the wrench for more leverage and it popped all of them loose. Otherwise, the cutting and using a six-point socket, as mentioned above, is a great idea.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Flair wrench for sure.

If the lines are trash, cut them at the fitting and use a 6 point socket.

I also like to take a small propane torch and heat up the fitting (not melting hot, but enough to help loosen them) female side. That causes it to expand outward and helps loosen the male side you're trying to remove.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks