• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Stuck Drag Link & Pitman Arm

Hummer Guy

So I'm tyring to remove my drag link and pitmen arm so I can install the power steering kit, I ran into one issues, both of them are stuck on. I took off all the bolts and still can't get it to come off. It only just turn a little. Am I'm missing something if not, do anyone have any tips?

Attachments

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
So I'm tyring to remove my drag link and pitmen arm so I can install the power steering kit, I ran into one issues, both of them are stuck on. I took off all the bolts and still can't get it to come off. It only just turn a little. Am I'm missing something if not, do anyone have any tips?
The 4 bolts have 4 "cone shaped" pieces on the studs that hold that plate in place. Generally speaking, a generous love tap with a 3# hammer should cause those cones to move up the stud. Be gentle with a pair of pliers and wiggle them out. Try not to "booger" them up...

The arm requires a puller.

Hope that helps!

Hummer Guy

The 4 bolts have 4 "cone shaped" pieces on the studs that hold that plate in place. Generally speaking, a generous love tap with a 3# hammer should cause those cones to move up the stud. Be gentle with a pair of pliers and wiggle them out. Try not to "booger" them up...

The arm requires a puller.

Hope that helps!
Okay so I managed to get the Pitmen arm off with a puller but still can't get the drag link off, its somehow magically just stuck on. Is there any puller tool for it?

Attachments

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Okay so I managed to get the Pitmen arm off with a puller but still can't get the drag link off, its somehow magically just stuck on. Is there any puller tool for it?
Nobody (including me) wants to do it, but soak the 4 wedges with some WD-40 or your favorite penetrating oil. Give it a good shot, let it sit and repeat it maybe once an hour or so. This time wear your safety glasses when you tap it with the hammer. On the side of the link to "kinda" make it twist. You can also tap down on it half way between the 4 studs and the ball...

Hummer Guy

Nobody (including me) wants to do it, but soak the 4 wedges with some WD-40 or your favorite penetrating oil. Give it a good shot, let it sit and repeat it maybe once an hour or so. This time wear your safety glasses when you tap it with the hammer. On the side of the link to "kinda" make it twist. You can also tap down on it half way between the 4 studs and the ball...
Question, them 4 wedges, where are they? Is that part suppose to be the 4 threads on the steering arm?

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Question, them 4 wedges, where are they? Is that part suppose to be the 4 threads on the steering arm?
The 4 wedges are pointed down into the steering arm. Helps make sure that the holes don't get "wallered" out if the nuts get loose. When you get it apart, you will see the cone shape they fit in to.

Hummer Guy

The 4 wedges are pointed down into the steering arm. Helps make sure that the holes don't get "wallered" out if the nuts get loose. When you get it apart, you will see the cone shape they fit in to.
Got it, so a question on that, is there anyway to take the drag link off the steering arm without having to take off the steering arm or do I have to get the steering arm off as well?

ldmack3

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I put 2 nuts on each stud so if I missed I didn't ruin the studs and with a short-handled sledge beat the snot out of it on the back side. Also soaked overnight in kroil.
It finally came loose.
If it came up a little perhaps take out the grease fitting and tap it back down, then try again.

Hummer Guy

G
I put 2 nuts on each stud so if I missed I didn't ruin the studs and with a short-handled sledge beat the snot out of it on the back side. Also soaked overnight in kroil.
It finally came loose.
If it came up a little perhaps take out the grease fitting and tap it back down, then try again.
Going to try that next, another plan is to try and use a pitmen arm puller to disconnect the drag link from the steering arm

ldmack3

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did the spring come out or is it on the other side? The spring may be frozen keeping the ball in the narrow side of the keyhole slot.
The spring location is different on each end and I don't remember which way it is. I was able to get mine apart before beating on the steering arm to free the cones.

Hummer Guy

Did the spring come out or is it on the other side? The spring may be frozen keeping the ball in the narrow side of the keyhole slot.
The spring location is different on each end and I don't remember which way it is. I was able to get mine apart before beating on the steering arm to free the cones.
Think the spring is on the other side, I didn't notice it

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks