• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

stuck in 1st gear

billyzz

the m43 i just bought is stuck in 1st gear
i cannot move the lever period
which means i cant unload it from the trailer
is there a trick i dont know?
it has a casting number that says c97247
any help would be a godsend!
ps
MERRY CHRISTMAS!

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
More than likely something hung up in the top Cover. Pull the top off and see if you can shift it into neutral with a screwdriver.

dmetalmiki

The vehicle should be EASED forward and immediately CHOCKED, then proceed as above. (takes any weight off the gearing). Keep us informed.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In my post above, I assumed you already tried rocking the truck while somebody holds a little pressure on the shifter.

If not, try that first.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
ps
MERRY CHRISTMAS!
Put transfer case in neutral, then roll the truck off the trailer, there is no need to drop drive shafts, pull axles ect. OR better yet, just step on the clutch, and roll it off, I do not see the need for any great effort to get the darn thing "off the trailer", worse case, back up to a tree, or something solid, hook a chain between the truck and solid object, pull out from under it nice and slow, you are not going to hurt the truck or trailer, getting the truck off the trailer is not a issue, you can off load a dead m1a1 with just a little thought, I just do not see the issue with a little m43

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
ps
MERRY CHRISTMAS!
I just thought it might be nice to get my new truck off the trailer under its own power.....
I was just responding to your first post, now that things have changed, pull the trans top, shift with a screwdriver and drive off the trailer

billyzz

it feels like the clutch works
i took out the fill plug and the oil on the plug itself looked milky
that tells me water
tomorrow i will take the top off the case for a look-see.
i havent gotten a positive id on this so i dont know what i have to buy a FSM for it
the casting number on the side says
C97247 and under that
STD
the fill and drain holes are on the passenger side one directly above the other

billyzz

pretty unhappy right now
there is no way to fill the bone dry np435
and i cant take the top off because its stuck in first gear
there is a big metal plate in the way of the fill plug that is part of the 318 conversion.
i dont have a torch to cut a hole in the plate to get to the fill hole.
and i have to return the trailer monday.
i havent bothered fooling with the carb to get it running
why bother if the tranny is locked up?
i am going to disconnect the trailer and jack up the front and hopefully roll it off
any money i may have saved will get thrown at a transmission shop. so much for tires/heater /etc

Last edited:

billyzz

it seems to roll ok
i dont want to get it off the trailer in case (very likely) i get POed and simply drop it off at a tranny shop.
it is 9f and windy and i dont have a garage

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You should be able to get the top off the trans, even if it's stuck in gear. You may even be able to just pull the shifter and line the forks back up with a pry bar or big screwdriver. I've seen a worn shifter cause the forks to get bound up when it slips out of place.

Did the trans shift fine when you loaded it?

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the shifter is worn, it can be stuck in two gears at once, which locks it up. Pulling the shifter, should be 1st. Then the big screwdriver trick as m16ty suggests. (make sure you can stop it from rolling) If the weight of the vehicle has rolled against the locked transmission, you may have trouble with the screwdriver trick, until you neutralize the load.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Keep thinking about this: If the tranny is dry, the fork might be stuck/not wanting to sllde on the rail. When the whole tranny is worn, & popping out of gear, either in "power on", or decelleration, the shifting forks get warn on the end, therefor not sliding the gears far enough to lock them into detent, caused by manually holding the shift lever in certain gears. The wear can be seen & if not too bad, can be built up with weld to restore original shape. If its worn bad enough, it can be shifted, and left in two gears at once, thus locking it up.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
pretty unhappy right now
there is no way to fill the bone dry np435
and i cant take the top off because its stuck in first gear
there is a big metal plate in the way of the fill plug that is part of the 318 conversion.
i dont have a torch to cut a hole in the plate to get to the fill hole.
and i have to return the trailer monday.
i havent bothered fooling with the carb to get it running
why bother if the tranny is locked up?
i am going to disconnect the trailer and jack up the front and hopefully roll it off
any money i may have saved will get thrown at a transmission shop. so much for tires/heater /etc
WOW, this keeps changing, now it is a 318 conversion, just some advice for future help questions, it helps if ALL the pertinent info (like drive off trailer, conversion, ect.) is in the first post

bchauvette

In post 9 billyzz states, milky oil thinking water, post 12 he says its 9 degrees, maybe it iced up.
Maybe a torpedo heater under the engine compartment. Did we establish it won't roll with the clutch in or transfer case in neutral?

I'm thinking if you get PO'd when something goes wrong you will be spending a lot of time PO'd. Most of us look at problems as part of the challenge /overcome/satisfaction part of the MV hobby .

billyzz

Maybe a torpedo heater under the engine compartment. Did we establish it won't roll with the clutch in or transfer case in neutral?

I'm thinking if you get PO'd when something goes wrong you will be spending a lot of time PO'd. Most of us look at problems as part of the challenge /overcome/satisfaction part of the MV hobby .
i have already done a complete restore of a willys jeep and a from the ground up build of a 27 chevy hotrod
but tht doesnt mean i dont get to pick my battles
and i aint workin on this tranny outside when it is 7f and windy at noon ;)

billyzz

wont roll with clutch in
i disconnected the drive shaft to get it off the trailer.
it was a toasty +2f when i dropped it off at the shop.
i miss my heated 3 car garage.....

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks