• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Stuck M936

WildernessJeep

I got my M936 slightly stuck this weekend. There was a big tree to the rear, but I couldn't winch to it because ALL the wheels lock with the crane in gear. Has anyone figured out a way to bypass the wheel brakes with the crane in gear? 20210102_162402.jpg

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I got my M936 slightly stuck this weekend. There was a big tree to the rear, but I couldn't winch to it because ALL the wheels lock with the crane in gear. Has anyone figured out a way to bypass the wheel brakes with the crane in gear? View attachment 822612
Yes. There is a bypass modification that was done. It is a valve under the steering wheel that says spring brake override. Not the one on the dash. It overrides the spring brakes for the PTO

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Correct, but that only unlocks the front wheels, not the rear.
No. The front wheels are service brakes they never lock. They never lock. The one under the steering wheel is for self recovery to release the brakes so it doesn't bulldoze.

If it's not working then it is prob hooked up wrong or you don't have it.

Only option you have is to cage the spring cans in the rear

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I've never had good luck recovering with the rest winch. Never gotten a stuck wrecker out with it.

WildernessJeep

No. The front wheels are service brakes they never lock. They never lock. The one under the steering wheel is for self recovery to release the brakes so it doesn't bulldoze.

If it's not working then it is prob hooked up wrong or you don't have it.

Only option you have is to cage the spring cans in the rear
Specifically, there is a kit (maybe aftermarket) that locks the front wheels, too. Yes, the spring brake emergency release button (under the steering wheel) releases just the front brakes. The parking brake releases the rear axles.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Specifically, there is a kit (maybe aftermarket) that locks the front wheels, too. Yes, the spring brake emergency release button (under the steering wheel) releases just the front brakes. The parking brake releases the rear axles.
You lock the service brakes by attaching an air hose from the emergency gladhand on the front to the service gladhand on the front this applies the service brakes.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What's the "buried to the axle vehicle count" at this point? No half ton pickups are going to pull that out. Think D6 dozer.

WildernessJeep

From the manual. "If using the wrecker’s rear winch for self-recovery,
release parking brake and set spring brake
override."
Another question: On the front winch, the clutch lever should be in the "OUT" position when winching, correct? The manual only says "move the lever as far back as it will go". My lever moves left/right, not front/back. It is indicated clutch "in" or "out". I assume "out" means the winch is engaged, correct? Is there ever a time you wouldn't need it engaged? It won't freespool at all in either direction.

Russ Knight

Steel Soldiers Supporter
After reading some of the initial posts, I'd sure figure out a way to over ride the parking brake(s).

charlesmann

It would be a good idea to familiarize yourself with your equipment before you hurt someone or yourself.

Do the front brake chambers look like the rear chambers? Google service brake chamber, then google service/parking brake chamber. They look nothing alike. My 936A2 has double chambers (svc/park amd looks like football with flat ends) and my fronts are single chamber (looks like a thick pancake).

In the cab, there should be a lever right of the xmsn shift tower that moves move front and backwards that says in and out.
the lever next to that should be your front winch pto engage lever.

On the front of the winch, on the driverside between the winch and the hood, there should be a handle with a ball at the that should push/pull if standing, facing the side of the winch. One direction free spools it, the other engages/locks the winch in for operation.

The drum lock is located on the driver side too that has to be pulled out and turned 90 degrees to unlock it and 90 degrees to lock it. The drum lock needs to be unlocked for operation.

Print a copy of the manual out, insert in a 3 ring binder and put it in the document bag inside cab or somewhere it wont get destroyed. You could even laminate it to protect it.

fasttruck

The PTO in the cab has to be "in" and the drum clutch on the winch has to be "in" and the drum lock has to be "out" to operate the winch. But you know that because you read the -10 manual. That document also tells you the push in air valve on the right side of the dashboard releases the parking brakes in the dual service rear brake chambers from an isolated air source if the normal service air supply regulated by the valve by the handbrake is not available. They both release the parking brake, the difference is where they source the air.

Most people put the winch away with the PTO disengaged, the drum lock engaged and the drum clutch disengaged on the theory the next timer you need the winch you will want to freespool the cable and it will spare damage to the winch if the PTO is accidentally engaged.

WildernessJeep

On the front of the winch, on the driverside between the winch and the hood, there should be a handle with a ball at the that should push/pull if standing, facing the side of the winch. One direction free spools it, the other engages/locks the winch in for operation.
Right. That's my question. The "handle with a ball" is the clutch lever. The manual only says "move lever as far back as it will go". The lever is labelled "clutch" with an "in" and "out". It doesn't move front/back, it moves (to the driver) left and right, towards and away from the winch operator respectively. My winch doesn't seem to "free spool" in either position, but it is a pretty heavy winch/cable, so maybe I'm just a weakling. Regardless, giving instructions in front/back or in/out are not understood.

So my questions are 1) for winching, should the clutch lever be to the driver's right or left (in or out); and 2) how to confirm the clutch is or is not engaging correctly?

Last edited:

charlesmann

Right. That's my question. The "handle with a ball" is the clutch lever. The manual only says "move lever as far back as it will go". The lever is labelled "clutch" with an "in" and "out". It doesn't move front/back, it moves (to the driver) left and right, towards and away from the winch operator respectively. My winch doesn't seem to "free spool" in either position, but it is a pretty heavy winch/cable, so maybe I'm just a weakling. Regardless, giving instructions in front/back or in/out are not understood.

So my questions are 1) for winching, should the clutch lever be to the driver's right or left (in or out); and 2) how to confirm the clutch is or is not engaging correctly?
I don't remember, and i am in chili, sa till the middle of the month, or i would go fire mine up and mess with it. i think, away (push towards the passenger side is engaged). So, in might might refer to engaged/line in, and out refers to disengaged. I am assuming you can line in and line out, but not free spool. Correct?
Have you disengaged it, tied off and tried pulling the cable with a tractor? when i got mine, i couldn't pull it by hand, and my in/out lever was stuck "in", and with some metal persuasion, it disengaged after i lined out the entire drum and was able to rock the drum by hand to free the lever from its sticky spot.

After working it many times and using some tricks-flow lube, it has worked flawlessly and i can free spool with no issues

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks