• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Stuck valve

dads6x6

I think my M37 has a stuck valve
I didn’t start if for the summer and now when I start it,
it misses. Have to throttle up to keep it running
fuel pump is recently rebuilt by Midwest military. I also rebuilt the carb last summer and it ran great after. how can o check and if so do 8 have to take the head off to fix it?

thanks

mdainsd

Mine came out of long term storage after a depot rebuild (20+ years). It ran poorly when I got it started. Compression test showed two cylinders with 0 Psi.
I removed the head and yep, there they were, 2 exhaust valves stuck open. I tried to gently tap them down to get them moving, but no luck. I ended up taking off the manifolds, then I found some plastic caps that where a tight fit in the exhaust ports. Next I filled the exhaust ports with MMO. Each day I would come out and try the very gentle tap. Nothing. It took two solid weeks for the MMO to soak in enough that I could get the valves to move, but they still stayed stuck open. Since they were now moving I removed the retainers and took these two valves out. Cleaned them and the valve guides with MEK, lubed them and reassembled. Perfect! Runs like a top and never had any further issues. I also treated the motor to doses of MMO in the gasoline and in the oil.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks