• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Stuck Winch

Seth_O

I used my deuce today to winch my bro's truck and trailer. After getting him back on the asphalt I moved my deuce and heard an unhappy crunch sound. I immediately parked the truck and shut it down to inspect. Sure enough the lever slipped in the cab and it tightened down on itself.

Now with the tension on it I cant get the t-case into neutral, the transmission out of 1st, or the transmission clutch to disengage. The winch lever in the cab is stuck, and the clutch lever on the winch is stuck.

How do I release this? If I push the clutch in can I turn the winch d-shaft with a wrench? Which direction does it need to go to release the tension?

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When you look at the PTO output from the front, it turns clockwise to winch in, counterclockwise to winch out.

Do not hammer the winch clutch, do not hammer the shear pin. There is tension on these parts.

Depress the clutch with engine off, and turn the winch driveshaft with a breaker bar until tension is relieved.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wait, you need to get your transmission out of gear, before anything!

It seems that the whole drivetrain is severely wound up. Otherwise the TC would go into neutral without excessive force on the shift lever.

Safest is to jack-up the rear wheels (either side) and then try again, shifting either the TC or directly the transmission.

Don't forget to chock the front wheels and be careful because once the wheels are free they may spin violently - for a fraction of a turn, at least.

Last edited:

Seth_O

I tried pushing the clutch in and turning the PTO shaft, no joy there. I'll have to try jacking up the rear axle tomorrow. That's a good suggestion.

fasttruck

Do you have the correct shear pin in the winch drive shaft ? I would think the pin would have broke before everything got torqued up like this.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wonder if pulling the truck backwards with another vehicle (clutch depressed) would have the same effect. It would turn the wheels, turn the transfer case, turn the PTO and turn the winch drive shaft?

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wonder if pulling the truck backwards with another vehicle (clutch depressed) would have the same effect. It would turn the wheels, turn the transfer case, turn the PTO and turn the winch drive shaft?
This should work, shear pin should have let go. Probably find a bolt in there .

Seth_O

I thought about that, but since it was a question mark vs a period, I went with gerhardt advice and jacked up one tire. Sure enough it spun slowly as it came off the ground and I was then able to put the truck in neutral. That allowed me to get thr PTO shaft to turn enough I could put the winch clutch into neutral.

My new issue is that I cant get the winch to freespool out, and cant shift it into power now to get it to power out. I'll figure it out, but the immediate need is met as I was able to move the truck.

Huge thanks to @gringeltaube for his suggestion!

77 AMG

Maybe try anchoring the winch chain to something and SLOWLY backing up, like trying to un-nest a come-a-long that some body cranked up too much? Once the cable unrolls past the "bite down", you would still want to fully unroll and inspect the cable.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks