• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

suggestions on 5 ton truck

irishvin

Im looking at getting a 5 ton truck but I have never driven one. And don't known totally how everything works. Any suggestions on what 5 ton I should get was look at a m931...but I don't know I figured I ask for opinions before big buy thanks

Iggy913

Maybe you can be a little more specific, are you asking what type of truck as in cargo body, tractor, dump, wrecker? In which case that's a call for you to make, what do you plan on using it for? If you don't plan on pulling around a massive trailer than why would you need a 931? Not that you couldn't build a body of some type to go in place of the 5th wheel plate but you could probably get more use out of a dump(929) or a cargo truck(923).

Are you asking about which generation of the 939 series to get? I ended up getting an 923A2, the newer motor is great and I think has a lot of improvements over the older massive 855. From my short experience thus far and reading different posts here the newer motor gets better milage and lends itself to easier horsepower upgrades if that was a road you wanted to head down. The CTA motor is also very quiet compared to the older motor and you can carry on a conversation inside the cab with a normal tone. Still there is nothing wrong with the older motor in the A1 and A0 trucks as well as it's simple and proven technology or a lack there of. The CTIS in the A2s is garbage and doesn't work 99% of the time, but it's easily removed so tires can be aired up/down and changed with just normal procedures.

Again those are my experiences and opinions and not any hard and fast rules. You will find a die hard following for any of the 5 tons, be it a 939A0-A2 or the older 800 series trucks. Good luck with whatever you decide on.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Will this truck cause your wife to divorce you? Got to know what you want but yes 5 tons are the best!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

gunboy1656

My advice is simple, find the -10 manuals for all the trucks you considering and read up on them, skim the pages at a minimum. Even skimming the manual you will find something to catch your eye and before you know it you finished it.

Find someone who owns (and knows) the truck to show you all the details the manuals show but not in detail. see if they will take you for a ride maybe even drive.

Oh and another thing since you want to jump to the big trucks, start pricing/purchasing the bigger tools needed.

Last edited:

DeucesWild11

I would love to see some bigger trucks in our area, but as emado22 said check out the legality first. Also any town rules you may have. My town has a length limit on commercial vehicles, even though I have mine registered as historical it's good to know what the rules are out there.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In my opinion, a M931 is useless unless your going to tow a semi trailer, and bobtailing in the rain in no fun and can be dangerous. Get a cargo. At least you can use the bed. Also, double check with your insurance company. Once you make the leap to a full air brake truck, insurance companies get strange....

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I have driven just about everything in the Army inventory since 1972 and the M927 I own now is hands down my favorite. I've had a multi-fuel 5 ton tractor, a M816 wrecker, a couple of M915's and a bunch of deuces. The M900 series 5 tons are pretty user friendly, parts are available at NAPA or Fleetpride and if you get one with the 8.3 Cummins the fuel milage is not too bad (considering what you are driving has the aerodynamics of a cement block). Follow the advise of the other guys and read, read, read before commiting. If there is a fellow member in your area that has one see if you can get some stick time in one before you buy.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks