• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Swing out Grill and mount for 105 trailer???

andytk5

I'm looking to get a 105 for my deuce to hit the beach and would love to get to the beach (on the sand) and unhook the 105 then park the deuce right next to it for a camp or just a family day.

My deuce is tan, going for tan 105 as well. My thought is to make a tan outside grill to swing out or mount on the rear of the 105 (want it to blend) so I can cook and also store my collers or whatever.

Then the deuce will have all the chairs tables fishing rods etc.. Also want to possibly add a ladder like on the shop trucks to get in/out of the deuce for everybody easily. Possibly do so poles that can attach a cover to to have an entry cover for the trailer and the deuce..

Also can you guys give me ideas on what I should be looking at in pricing on a 105, I ask since a guy across town has a bunch for sale and he's asking over $600.

Thanks!!

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've used the rear axle, spindle and hub out of a wrecked small front wheel drive sedan for making swing out implements. Maybe you can do the same for your idea, they are cheap and can handle a reasonable load. Just be sure to create a securing system because they turn easily.

I love camping on the beach after spending many years chasing the surf in Baja. For beach camping with 2 vehicles, I recommend parking the vehicles parallel and stretching a cover overhead between them to provide ample day shelter outdoors. Also, park the vehicles so the rear of the truck and trailers are downwind, to minimize wind problems with the covered beds.

$600 sounds fair, especially if the trailers are registered and have plates. I don't think the color you receive it in matters too much since you will be needing to paint your mods to the trailer.

Best wishes,

Rick

nk14zp

An idea i had on my 105 bed on my bobbed truck is to turn the storage holders for the tail gate rack on one side so I can put the rack in horizontly(sp) for a counter top and place to set the grill.

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is our "low tech" way of doing that.

The legs just rest on the lip, they fit nice between the holders/lift points/wheelwell. Then just hold it up, and back, w/ some tie-down straps.
11-08-27 (2).jpg

When we take off the front, for the other side, we can walk through from the 109 all the way off the end of the trailer. Yeah! for the new fold down deck.
11-08-12 (4).jpg

Last edited:

andytk5

Thanks for the great ideas guys. Hoping my deuce with the T831 singles will be fine in the St auggy sand. Was checking out lockers/air lockers and whatnot, maybe later..

I was just thinking of welding a vertical pipe on the back of the trailer and making an arm setup with the next size down pipe as the slide in for the welded pipe and if i grease it, it should swing just fine. And even put some pins in drilled holes as keepers. The rear axle idea sounds pretty sweet though. Gotta see if I have a pick a part place here.

You mentioned painting. Have you guys found a spraycan or gallon size for a Wagner sprayer that matches the light tone tan of the curent stuff being sold?? I'd rather just touch up some spots than spray the hole truck/trailer.

I'm really diggin the MV stuff now, whether your thinking bug out stuff to just plain killer toy it's all great.

harleyhouse

Beach wagon

I mounted several 1 1/4" and 2" receivers under the bed of my M1101A2 to use as mounts for a grill, table and umbrella. any steel tube would work. I plan on having a slide out chuck wagon kitchen and water tank as well.

It will be a family camping Trailer with a Roof top tent and enough goodies for a weekend or more if we need to BUG OUT!

Attachments

3dAngus

$600 depends on a lot of different things, and what it would cost you afterwards. My experience is the tan ones have a tendency to peel paint worse than the Green or Camo. On paint, you might check on the Carc 383 replacement by Rapco in spray paint cans. Easiest way to go without cleanup.

On price, be sure to check tires for dry rot. If you have it, pass. Not worth the extra monies to buy better tires. Make sure the landing gear is in good shape. It's a must. If the hand brakes are loose, chances are, the brakes are worn too, which might be another expense. You need good brakes on a M105 if pulling with a heavy load, not so much if empty and pulling with a deuce.

Prices range from $395 to $1200. $1200 is very rare, and should be a VME refurbished in camo, with matching rails, bows, and cover in perfect shape. Rare they come with any top rails or cover, and they are usually, but not always put together that way be a seller who puts them together for you. Tan usually come with covers, rails, and bows, so not uusually a problem. I would say an average condition one goes for $500-800. You pay more for quality. The $500-800 should only need minor touch up and rust should be at a bare minimum, and then, only surface rust which will clean up easily and nice. Bed should be with only minor rust where there are holes from mounting hardware, or on top of the wheel wells which is super easy to sand and paint. Good luck. Sounds like a plan.

andytk5

I mounted several 1 1/4" and 2" receivers under the bed of my M1101A2 to use as mounts for a grill, table and umbrella. any steel tube would work. I plan on having a slide out chuck wagon kitchen and water tank as well.

It will be a family camping Trailer with a Roof top tent and enough goodies for a weekend or more if we need to BUG OUT!
Holy sweet lord sir!!! That is exactly what I have in mind! The recievers are a stellar idea. Didn't even think of that. The trailers (are they the same one/diff paint)?? That trailer with the propane, cook top, gas can swing arms.. Ooooh! Can't thank you enough just for posting those so I can visualize it. I would just be tan, to match the truck. Great execution on that.

$600 depends on a lot of different things, and what it would cost you afterwards. My experience is the tan ones have a tendency to peel paint worse than the Green or Camo. On paint, you might check on the Carc 383 replacement by Rapco in spray paint cans. Easiest way to go without cleanup.

On price, be sure to check tires for dry rot. If you have it, pass. Not worth the extra monies to buy better tires. Make sure the landing gear is in good shape. It's a must. If the hand brakes are loose, chances are, the brakes are worn too, which might be another expense. You need good brakes on a M105 if pulling with a heavy load, not so much if empty and pulling with a deuce.

Prices range from $395 to $1200. $1200 is very rare, and should be a VME refurbished in camo, with matching rails, bows, and cover in perfect shape. Rare they come with any top rails or cover, and they are usually, but not always put together that way be a seller who puts them together for you. Tan usually come with covers, rails, and bows, so not uusually a problem. I would say an average condition one goes for $500-800. You pay more for quality. The $500-800 should only need minor touch up and rust should be at a bare minimum, and then, only surface rust which will clean up easily and nice. Bed should be with only minor rust where there are holes from mounting hardware, or on top of the wheel wells which is super easy to sand and paint. Good luck. Sounds like a plan.
Angus thanks a bunch for the pointers on the trailer. Definitely new to this so any help is really appreciated. Isn't the CARC 383 green? I was looking over the paint codes (on hummers) and only found a semi-gloss in AMG T4 or PPG N5033A..

The guy in town has like 10 105's most with covers but I didnt look at them closely since I was there to see his M35, but I passed on it. Depends on the price he will accept then I will go check them out after I print your list! Thanks alot.

Thanks for posting that, I'm a hike from Orlando and a guy has a bunch just miles from me, though I am not sure of condition or his price, but thanks again for the search help.

Looked at the spring packs from some pics and wow! Looks bigger than most duallys and they have the overloads up top, dang! Are most of these trailers going to have the older style tires and note the goodyears or firestones T831s that the deuces up for auction are wearing?

Thanks guys!

Last edited:

andytk5

The red M101A2 trailer is mine, the others are members of Expedition Portal.

Here is the trailer section.

Expedition Trailers

These guys have lots of ideas.
Become a member.

My trailer build:

Just purchased a Military trailer to build a family hauler

Mark
Thanks for the info, much appreciated!

3dAngus

Rapco 383 can be substitute CARC green or brown, you pick. If you want substitute CARC tan, it is Rapco 686 tan. From what I read, the 686 tan is a perfect match I ordered 4 gallons plus some spray cans a couple of days ago. Should be here next we ek. I hope to paint my M109A3 in desert tan with some brown camo.

andytk5

Rapco 383 can be substitute CARC green or brown, you pick. If you want substitute CARC tan, it is Rapco 686 tan. From what I read, the 686 tan is a perfect match I ordered 4 gallons plus some spray cans a couple of days ago. Should be here next we ek. I hope to paint my M109A3 in desert tan with some brown camo.
Oh man I can't wait to see this! Sounds like it should be a perfect setup. Can I ask what you are using to apply and what kind of prep you are doing? I'm just wondering if I need to do more to make it look pretty clean, not going for perfect but I don't want a slop job either.

Thanks!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks