• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tach install help. Need 24v switched power

NVRENUFF

I need a little help installing a tach. I have a 24v diesel VDO tach out of a dozer that I'd like to hook up, but need 24v switched power. Is there any 24v switched supplies under the dash already? I wired it up temp to make sure it works, and it's dead on using the alt tap. I guess is worse comes to worse I could use a 12v relay for the 24v.

Also, does the brown/white wire go into the dash from the alt already?

Thanks ls for any help!

NVRENUFF

Nevermind, I can use 12v switched and just run the ground wire all the way back to the battery -N-. That'll give me the 24v I need. Should have done all this while my shop AC was on.

richingalveston

brown wire goes to the big diagnostic plug under dash if you still have it. not sure which pin but that is where it goes. probably need a relay. All power switched on by ignition is 12 volt that I know of. 24 only does glow plugs and starter.

I do not believe running the negative the way you describe will get you 24 volts.

cpf240

brown wire goes to the big diagnostic plug under dash if you still have it. not sure which pin but that is where it goes.
Don't forget it goes to the Tach Buffer module before going to the diagnostic plug, so may need to find it before the module, though I don't know what affect the module has on the signal.

probably need a relay. All power switched on by ignition is 12 volt that I know of. 24 only does glow plugs and starter. I do not believe running the negative the way you describe will get you 24 volts.
I agree with this. Use a relay that is switched by 12v, perhaps taping off the hot side of the voltmeter for the 24v, or a 24v source in the fuse box to power the gauge.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks