• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tach quit - nothing wrong

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The tach in my deuce dropped to zero about 30 miles into a 170 mile trip to the San Diego Vets Parade. A quick inspection of the tach drive/adapter showed nothing imploded or leaking so we kept going without the use of a functioning tach. Today I ordered a new cable from Erik's since I ASSuMEd it was probably the cable. Then I went out to take the probably bad cable off.

After removing the new looking cable it discovered there appeared to be nothing wrong with it. I removed the tach/drive adapter and it too seemed to function correctly. I also found another cable on my spare motor. So I had a good cable, a good spare, an offer of a free cable from Gimpy and a new one ordered. I called Erik and he canceled my order with no restocking fee. Top notch dude.

With the drive/adapter and cable working I next pulled the tach. Then I hooked the tach to the cable and connected the cable to a drill. Noting the arrow on the tach case I ran the drill backwards/counter clockwise. The tach functioned fine. Next I hooked up the tach drive adapter to the cable and then to the drill. Everything worked as it should.

At that point the only thing I could think to do was reinstall everything. I connected the drive/adapter and cable and left the tach laying on the fender. I connect the battery's, started the truck and the tach now worked.

I finished reinstalling the tach into the dash and again it tested good. All of the connections were tight prior to removal. I have no idea what was wrong with it. We'll see how long it holds out.

A piece of advice I got from Gimp started out "Never buy anything...." and I figured he was gonna tell me to never assume and check the suspected part first but he said "until you check with me first. I probably have it and I still owe you from that one deal way back when". That's advice I can use!

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Isn't the adapter adjustable on the depth it can go in? Maybe it wasn't in enough?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks