• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tailgate Replacment

mutt1966

Are there any problams that i may incounter when I replace the tailgate on my M1009 just asking because I have limited acess to a garage and Id like to to do this as fast as possible. Thanks for any help, Scott

MILRET45

If you're starting with a new shell stay away from off shore manufacture. I tried one from J.C. Whitney and there was no way to make it fit. Finally went with a GM shell from GM Parts Direct, no problem other than the cost differential.

twright

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Keystone after market parts fit well I own A body shop and there parts fit as good as the factory 98% of the time some times better than factory.

Nico

If you're starting with a new shell stay away from off shore manufacture. I tried one from J.C. Whitney and there was no way to make it fit. Finally went with a GM shell from GM Parts Direct, no problem other than the cost differential.
i made the same experience. i had to bent, mill-cut and manipulate but the thaiwan shrink part will not fit exactly. :evil:
(was an private ebay auction)

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Highly suggest finding the best one you can, patching it and rustproofing it versus getting the China special.

For the actual install, ensure you read the -20 and -34 manuals. They will give you the step by step.

There are two "spring bars" at the bottom of the tailgate that are kinda curved and can bend somewhat easily. If you get frustrated, take a breath (since you will be holding the tailgate you can't take a break) and don't bend them. I only bent mine slightly but now when I open my tailgate and it SNAPS into the complete down position, it sounds like someone fired off a 22 pistol. Doesn't hurt anything but makes folks look. :oops:

pbrstreetgang

Tailgate

I have an original CUCV Tailgate for sale that I am getting ready to post on ebay. From what I can tell, it is basically just the shell. The main brackets are there, but the tension bars (springs) are not. Shoot me an email to burt35@hotmail.com and I will send you pics if you are interested.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks