• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tanks etc from Ft Knox

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
As some of you know, several of us CAMO members are ROAD Warriors..(Retired On Active Duty)[thumbzup][thumbzup]
Every Wednesday we shy away from our duties and just do what ever we feel like doing so:

Doc, Marvin, Uglyranger and yours truly went on a recon today and snapped some pics of the older vehicles that have been shipped down to Fort Benning from Fort Knox.

Attachments

davey8943

PB,

Thanks for posting the pics. Those are some awe inspiring weapons!

My wife and I went through Fort Knox when we heard they were moving them.

I hope your part of the country enjoys them at least as much as we did!

Dave

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
That's just a few Davey...when we can get in the compound gate where some others are stored on Sand Hill there will be more pics.

I just hope the tankers and the grunts don't start fighting each other here like we did at Fort Lewis in the early 70's rofl

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the pictures. Brings back memories of Basic and AIT (11D) at Fort Knox in 1970. I had to pull guard and fire duty many a night at the Patton Museum in winter. Nothing worse than shoveling coal in the freezing cold at 0200. They had a lot of neat stuff at the museum and elsewhere. I'll have to come down to Benning after it's all there.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Flashbacks??

Thanks for the pictures. Brings back memories of Basic and AIT (11D) at Fort Knox in 1970. I had to pull guard and fire duty many a night at the Patton Museum in winter. Nothing worse than shoveling coal in the freezing cold at 0200. They had a lot of neat stuff at the museum and elsewhere. I'll have to come down to Benning after it's all there.
I know the feeling very well Sir. Enlisted (delayed) Oct 71, started basic Jan 72...at Ft. Knox...194th Armor Bde.

Wised up and went to Infantry AIT[thumbzup]

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Maneuver Center

I guise I missed out on why are they moving them to Benning. All of them or what.
It's part of the BRAC thingy crash. Fort Knox is getting several other units and the Armor School etc., is moving to Fort Benning.:D

Now...instead of "Home of the Infantry", Fort Benning is called the "Maneuver Center of Excellence".:beer:

sail-bum

I can not believe this, I was at Benning today picking up a M105 trailer. The sad part is I went through the Armor School when it was at Knox. I was in the same training unit as another fellow Steel Soldier member Myothersanm1. How did I mis this?

crasheej

The same way I did. was sleep at the wheel. I went from Ft Lenorwood to Ft brnning in Feb. 1963 was about 5 or 10 below when we got on the plain at 06:30 and one engine wouldn't start. Finally got it started at 09:45. Got Ft Benning was 75%. There were a lot of long johns left in the trash can. What a place.Left there went to Korea,

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I can not believe this, I was at Benning today picking up a M105 trailer. The sad part is I went through the Armor School when it was at Knox. I was in the same training unit as another fellow Steel Soldier member Myothersanm1. How did I mis this?
Dang...you could have stopped in and met some really good troops...you were only about 3 miles away:jumpin:

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I have the dubious destinction of have gone through basic training twice at Fort Knox.

I went there in 1972, (Bravo Eight Four) and then again in 1984 due to re-enlisting after a long break in service. It was not any easier on the second go round. Both times I was in the old wooden barracks and the second time I was just down the street from my first barracks.

The big difference was that we were not allowed to drink beer in the Patton Club in 1984.

My first duty assignment after Basic in 1984 was Benning......it is my favorite post after Fort McClellan (which got BRAC'ed back in the 90's).

I need to get back the Benning and "poke the (Papa) bear".

One of the reasons for the move to Benning was that the M1 Tank needed more manuver area than Knox could provide. The government could not aquire any additional real estate.

Since tanks and infantry move together I guess it made sense to move the armor to Benning.

3cavtanker

I was at Knox in '98 (D co 2/81 AR, 1st ATB) I remember our drills taking us on a self-propelled tour of the Armor Museum (that would be a long PT run for you REMF's out there) I always loved armor. Too bad it's all moving to the home of the crunchies, but if things stayed the same, we wouldn't advance.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have the dubious destinction of have gone through basic training twice at Fort Knox.

I went there in 1972, (Bravo Eight Four) and then again in 1984 due to re-enlisting after a long break in service. .
I went through Basic at Ft Knox in starting in January 1970 I was also in the old wooden barracks (D-17-5)). For 11D AIT at Knox I was in the Disney barracks - a whole lot nicer. (D-5R-2). Some things you never forget.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I was at Sand Hill there were no tanks around, just infantry. 11C
Ditto - A-6-1 Sand Hill but I was an 11B. I did the opposite of PB, Infantry for 4 years and after getting tired of walking switched to Armor.

While I appreciated the guided tour of the new Infantry Museum PB gave me, I wish I had waited until the tanks got there. Big hunks of metal just seem more impressive than dummies in uniforms (not you PB, the museum displays).

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Whew!!!!!!!!!!

Ditto - A-6-1 Sand Hill but I was an 11B. I did the opposite of PB, Infantry for 4 years and after getting tired of walking switched to Armor.
While I appreciated the guided tour of the new Infantry Museum PB gave me, I wish I had waited until the tanks got there. Big hunks of metal just seem more impressive than dummies in uniforms (not you PB, the museum displays).

Gosh!!! I'm so glad you clarified thatroflrofl

I really hate to downplay the new Infantry Museum but I gotta tell you....so far everyone I have taken to the new museum that had toured the old museum...liked the old one better:!::!: (Including me)

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have to tell you Larry, just walking around your holding yard was more impressive than what we walked through at Benning. A true pleasure meeting everyone there.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks