• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tatras in the american army

duncan

Some pics of tatras in US service, during desert storm. Story seems to be they were a gift from Germany. I know how you all like pics, so here goes!

Attachments

Wolf.Dose

For those NVA vehicles the US tax payer did pay NOTHING, it was a gift from Germany of usefull qualified material! The only costs were a share of the transport to the Saudi Arabian Desert.
The 8x8 Tatras were good for a 100 tons of pulled load, the shown trailer is a
Russian 50 ton payload trailer and will carry some 70 tons as well.
The coalition forced as well got from Germany Russian artillery peaces including the ammonition free of charge, exept for the transport. And they have been wellcome, for Sadam had the same peaces and the spare ammo was found on the other side.
And one more thing: American troops by that time have not been paid by the US tax payer, the costs were fully put onto Germany due to the NATO troop statutes. Even the salery of the soldiers was in fully paid from the GERMAN tax payer. This ended in 1992, when the US Forces in Germany were not considerd ocupation forces any more (as well as the British Forces, the Frensh Forces, the Belgium and Dutch Forces).
All locations, which the coalition Forces left these years, had to be bought back from the foreign Forces, even Germany paid for the construction and maintaining of all these places in full. So Germany paid these instalation at least twice!
Wolf
I know, with this statements I do not make friends! Stand the truth!

FridgeFreezer

They may have been called a "GIFT", but rest assured the taxpayers of the US have already paid for those and MANY MORE over and over again!!! It's called FOREIGN AID <sigh>

Thanks for posting up the pics.
<sigh>If you're going to the ungrateful flag waving bigot thing, d'ya think you could at least check some facts first?

It may surprise you to hear Tom Hanks didn't win WW2 either. God Bless America.

duncan

C'mon now, (western) Europe wouldn't be where it is now without the marshall plan, got to be grateful for that. And on the other side of the same coin, if that help had not arrived the cold war would most probably have looked a whole lot different, with the USSR stretching out over Europe. There are valid points for both sides.

But please, this forum is about the vehicles, and not about politics.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I always find it interesting to see pics of foreign vehicles in US service and vice versa. I had no idea the US Army used Tatras! Along the same lines, I know the US Army used some MAN trucks. I am not sure why the US Army used MAN 8X8s when they had the HEMTT, which serves the same purpose. Perhaps, someone with more knowledge will chime in on this. Thanks for sharing.

NEIOWA

As I recall, Sam was using MAN 8x8 in Europe for the Ground Launched Cruise missle system and Pershiing missle system before the HEMMT was in prodcuction (mid 80s).

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
NEIOWA, OK, so the US Army purchased some of the MAN tractors before the HEMTT came into inventory. Makes sense to me! Thanks!

NEIOWA

For your Tatra parts you might try playing "Stump the IH parts counterman"

Industry News

Team Canada

June 2, 2010
Navistar Defense, LLC and TATRA, a.s. announced that they will team for the upcoming Canadian Department of National Defence Standard Military Pattern (SMP) vehicle program. As part of the Medium Support Vehicle System (MSVS) program, SMP will replace Canada’s Medium Logistics truck fleet.
“We are excited to team with Tatra for the upcoming SMP vehicle program and believe that Tatra’s innovative vehicle designs and unique tactical chassis technology provide the team with a great advantage,” said Archie Massicotte, president, Navistar Defense.
Tatra, a.s., headquartered in the Czech Republic, is a manufacturer of heavy-duty, all-wheel drive off-road trucks and chassis cabs. Its products range from five-ton payload 4 x 4s up to 39- ton payload 12 x 12s incorporating the company’s own chassis technology. Tatra also manufactures a line of air-cooled diesel engines, transmissions and portal axles.
“We are truly energized by how well Tatra and Navistar have come together as a team over these last several months,” said Ronald Adams, Tatra’s CEO and chairman of its board of directors. “Our combined technology, engineering, manufacturing, and support capabilities present a compelling value proposition for our customers.”
The Navistar-Tatra team also plans to utilize Navistar’s global parts and support network for vehicle support. The team is also focused on creating local sustainment of its vehicles and will meet all requirements under Canada’s Industrial and Regional Benefits policy.
Navistar will serve as the prime contractor for the SMP program. The company is currently providing Military Commercial off the Shelf (MilCOTS) vehicles to the Canadian DND as part of the MSVS program. The company’s Canadian dealerships provide service support for these vehicles.

Diesel Progress Online | Industry News | Team Canada

Tascabe

In the second pic is even at least 3 URAL 375Ds or 4320s - though I cannot see the beds so they may be tractor variants to haul more trailers with Bradleys etc.

Very cool pics - I would have loved to use Tatras or URALs instead of my 5 Ton when I was in:driver:

emr

<sigh>If you're going to the ungrateful flag waving bigot thing, d'ya think you could at least check some facts first?

It may surprise you to hear Tom Hanks didn't win WW2 either. God Bless America.

Yo dude, Facts ? It is absolutly false that the first Gulf war was paid for by others, Now there were percentages that were picked up but NOT ALL PERIOD !!!...so get the facts straight guys, as for those tats, on paper I am sure they were free, But for the poster that says we paid, Is well .... I understand exactly what he is sayin, We gave sooo much for free to the other side of the pond, it can be fairly said, the debt can never be equaled, in Lives and Aid of all kinds....that is A fact my friend, U have posted smart remarks before, I really am not interested in them, U my friend do not have the facts. period... :) Oh and tom Hanks certainly did NOT WIN the War But WE DID... He He He... Facts my friend facts...Grow up and be thankful U do not speak german or Russian , That again is because of us, Now I say this in kind heart and ONLY to get the facts straight... Thanks Hope all is well Randy

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks