• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

tell me about this M342A2

ncduece

i just bought this truck but haven't seen it other than pictures, its supposed to run and was used by a township in pa to water some roads in summer for dust control, what the thing in the floor board? is that a hydraulic tank or valve for the dump bed, is that how they are usually set up? looking through past post it seems this is a some what rare truck, what are these trucks worth in this condition, maybe i should have ask this question be fore i bought it lol. anyone got a tail gate foe one of these? are they good trucks? i have a m35a2 and a xm818 now

Attachments

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
i would guess the hyd, pump and valve is for the plow that is not there now

Last edited:

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They are pretty hard to find. I'd agree, probably for a plow. SECO in Augusta has 3 M342's for parts but be ready to open the wallet. Someone had 2 tailgates about a year ago. Kenny, may know who it was.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice find! I always liked the proportions of the M342; it is on the short wheel base chassis.
There was somebody on here a few weeks back who had troop seats for it and wanted to sell them.

Sevensteps

Nice find! I always liked the proportions of the M342; it is on the short wheel base chassis.
There was somebody on here a few weeks back who had troop seats for it and wanted to sell them.
That would be me...I have a really nice set of troop seats for this truck that looks brand new.

Price is $200 and can be picked up in east Tennessee.

xm708

m342

Do I dare ask what you paid for the truck ? I just want to cry a little more that is all. Been looking and have found a gasser and one 342 out of my range just wondering thats all ?

ed

Sevensteps

Here's the ended auction prices:

AssetAuctions

I watched these auctions for several weeks but decided that these trucks were simply too rough for me to buy and resell and make any money on, (considering tranportation, etc).

As you can see, they closed for $1300-$1500 each.

They may have been worth that much in parts or to restore for someone closer, but not to me.

xm708

thanks

I see one is a 342 or at least a real dumper. The other looks like a deuce with a 5 ton dump bed on it ? Not a bad price either way..

ncduece

the one i bought with the tank in it the guy said it was stored inside since they had it, what do they usually sell for in working condition?

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had never heard of ASSET AUCTIONS previously. You learn something new everyday. I'll have to remember to check that one out. Thanks!

xm708

prices

The truck is worth whatever somebody will pay for it truthfully. There is one in CT right now for $12,000 I think. You got a good deal and you could make some money because there a few drooling on this sight alone for it. Only problem everybody knows what it sold for.... I will still search for one but really am in no hurry for one as the registration up her is stupid expensive and If I ran antique plates god help you if DOT caught you with anything in the bed !!

Sevensteps

The truck is worth whatever somebody will pay for it truthfully. There is one in CT right now for $12,000 I think. You got a good deal and you could make some money because there a few drooling on this sight alone for it. Only problem everybody knows what it sold for.... I will still search for one but really am in no hurry for one as the registration up her is stupid expensive and If I ran antique plates god help you if DOT caught you with anything in the bed !!
Well, the $12,000 price you quoted is ridiculously inflated IMO, so it's probably not a good comparison....It is simply a deuce with a dump... Granted, it's somewhat scarce, but the ONLY reason I would personally buy it is to resell. There is simply no guarantee of it's saleable desirability in this condition....And that's after giving $1300 for the truck and then putting $1000+ more in just getting it home and $500 in batterties and on and on.

You could easily end up with $4000 in the truck basically as it sits... Then hope the engine ran good and the brakes, not to mention the obvious rust issues that are evident and then the rust that is probably there and not evident. Put a couple hundred man-hours in it and a few more thousand $ in rust repair, paint, brakes, and the thousand other things it would take to restore it to a parade quality truck....I would venture to say that you may end up with $12K in it when it's done to get it to the same condition as the aforementioned $12K truck.

Don't get me wrong....$1300 is reasonable enough for the truck, but I have found that with most people looking for niche and oddball MV's like this dump truck, that a higher condition vehicle will SCREAM above the prices of so-so and even lower condition examples...

Sephirothq

That is true of any MV out there. You might buy a duece for 1300 from GL does it run? what about fluid change, batteries, any drive line problems. So what is any duece worth? Clark trucks wants 10K for a truck if i recall correctly.

Sevensteps

That is true of any MV out there. You might buy a duece for 1300 from GL does it run? what about fluid change, batteries, any drive line problems. So what is any duece worth? Clark trucks wants 10K for a truck if i recall correctly.
True, but especially true about niche, oddball MV's like complete M54 cargo's, deuce dumps, halftracks, etc...

You can find occasional examples of ragged out versions of these, but the pristine examples tend to sell more often for pristine prices because there are far fewer of them to begin with...

The pristine deuces will sell too, but I would imagine not as quickly as the quirkier models...There are far more of them...

greenjeepster

The 250.00 VT charges per year is a bargain. We pay more that a year on each of our daily drivers here. One is a Jeep Cherokee and the other is a Honda Civic.

There is a lot of things about Vermont that I have learned to appreciate since we moved south. :roll:

Sevensteps

The 250.00 VT charges per year is a bargain. We pay more that a year on each of our daily drivers here. One is a Jeep Cherokee and the other is a Honda Civic.

There is a lot of things about Vermont that I have learned to appreciate since we moved south. :roll:
Not in Tennessee....I registered a winch deuce last week with Tennessee antique plates...The cost was $27 for the lifetime of the vehicle.....No renewals ever needed and no hidden "wheel taxes"...

Insurance through Farm Bureau was $127 for the year...

We have antique plates on five of our vehicles and have for years, (Corvette, 1971 Cutlass, etc).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks