• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Terrible sound

JKELLS

I have a 1971 whistler turbo M35A2. When I start it, it makes a very loud horrible screeching sound. I have no clue where or what it is from due to the intensity of the sound. I asked around and I have been told fuel injectors, spun bearing, bad turbo, clog somewhere in the fuel system. I need some help. I want to get her back on the road. Any ideas anyone?

JKELLS

I am currently going through the fuel system to look for a clog. Also may check to see if there is a clog in the slobber tube. Gonna take a couple days due to my work schedule. If anyone is familiar with this problem or any other ideas please let me know. I have all new filters on it so it can't be that. Oil and fuel and air are all new and new belts.

tie6044

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Might be the alternator, after it starts shut the switch off and see if the sound stops.

dmetalmiki

charging or compressor belts. Turbo. The in tank pump it wont be. As you would surley have checked this easily by opening the fuel tank filler cap.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gimp, your box is full, that's a terrible sound, Go light dome?? Screeching sound? metallic?? squealing belts??

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
You did not say if the lube oil filter arrangement upgrade is installed.
Posters never ever give particulars here on SS and no sounds or pictures so everyone is guessing.

A Deuce multifuel is tactical military vehicle built to start no mater what. Design is for ALL the crankcase lube oil to goto full drain to the pan after shut off. On restart the turbo might take 92 seconds to get some lube oil on a normal startup. After XXXX startups, in her whole life, she has been good for everybody/everything, but that ends.

One could easily have wiped out a a turbo part.
Have you done anything to protect that engine?
Did you put the anti-drainback oil filters?
It could just be the lack of lube oil wiped out turbo.
Can't tell from here.......................
call Gimpy

Last edited:

JKELLS

well I got to go through the fuel system again first. cause now it isn't getting any fuel. so I have to fix that to start her up and figure out if belts and ect.

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A mechanic's stethoscope might help find where the noise is the greatest if you do not have loose belts. New belts typically need re-tightened after a short time. Place the stethoscope probe in different places like each end of the alternator, water pump, turbo, etc.

JKELLS

it has new belts. may be that. but slowly I am getting time to start it up. it would start now it wont start at all. I will check all of your guys recommendations after that. just another thought. what would happen if you tighten down the filter canisters too tight on the oil and fuel. I have to dig up the manual for the turbo tho. I know nothing about the turbo.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They break. They will not make the engine make noise.

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One of ours made a noise traceable to the water pump bearings with the stethoscope. The bearings had failed but it did not leak coolant. With the belts loose see if the fan shaft has play in it when you move a fan blade fore and aft by hand. If you do not have one you can buy a mechanic's stethoscope at an auto parts store. They are a great aid but not foolproof because sound can be transmitted, making it seem to come from another place than the actual source.

dmetalmiki

(A bit like pulling hens teeth..) Why don't you just go through the easy checks? I listed?. So, there WAS a squeak!.(And it ran)..Now there is not. (A squeak) And it does not run...
The in tank fuel pump finally grated to a full stop?.
Check that first.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
(A bit like pulling hens teeth..) Why don't you just go through the easy checks? I listed?. So, there WAS a squeak!.(And it ran)..Now there is not. (A squeak) And it does not run...
Check that first.
As dmetalmiki suggested, check the lift pump. With the master on, you should be able to hear it running and also hear fuel returning to the tank.

rustystud

Check that first.
Totally agree here. There are a thousand and one things that can squeak, squeal, squawk, and generally make a racket on our trucks or any vehicle for that matter. Start with the basics, then work your way up. First get it running, then see what is squealing.

dmetalmiki

Post up what you eventually did, A) to get it running, And b) to eliminate the noise.
Some deuces will run without the in tank pump, Quite a few will not. So, As rusty says, 'First, Get it running@..Was it the in tank pump?...And go from there. We are waiting with baited breaths!.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks