• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Thanks for the add! New owner and member

Moorinsky1

Hi!
So I've been on this site a grand total of a week and I've gotta say it's pretty damn legit. Lots of great people thus far. Fingers crossed.
Just acquired my first privately owned LMTV today and I'm in love. Can't wait to post my after pictures when I get it all fixed up.

Thanks for the add. I look forward to bothering everyone with my issues!

20210328_174108.jpg20210328_174234.jpg20210328_174239.jpg

Attachments

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
It's a good truck. I've used it a lot as a yard dog for moving trucks with the 5th wheel wrecker and jumping others off. I brought it down from Fort drum a few years ago and it's in great shape being from there

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congrats on the new rig! it looks to be in very reasonable condition pretty much just a VERY GOOD cleaning and some touch up! Looks to be a very good truck for you!

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Hi!
So I've been on this site a grand total of a week and I've gotta say it's pretty damn legit. Lots of great people thus far. Fingers crossed.
Just acquired my first privately owned LMTV today and I'm in love. Can't wait to post my after pictures when I get it all fixed up.

Thanks for the add. I look forward to bothering everyone with my issues!

View attachment 829949View attachment 829950View attachment 829951
That's a nice M1088. Those trucks are TALL at the 5th Wheel. Pulling a regular van trailer could find you a bit overheight so be sure to check that out before you hit the road. Mine runs like a sports car when bobtail. I really hope that you enjoy yours as much!

Be sure to check out your cab bushings. Mine are badly cracked. Relatively cheap for the 4 parts required. Takes a good bit of effort to swap them out, but it could have been worse. :cool:

Welcome to the outfit!

Moorinsky1

That's a nice M1088. Those trucks are TALL at the 5th Wheel. Pulling a regular van trailer could find you a bit overheight so be sure to check that out before you hit the road. Mine runs like a sports car when bobtail. I really hope that you enjoy yours as much!

Be sure to check out your cab bushings. Mine are badly cracked. Relatively cheap for the 4 parts required. Takes a good bit of effort to swap them out, but it could have been worse. :cool:

Welcome to the outfit!
Yeah I've been perusing the forums and I saw that was a common issue. Plan on making a list and getting started. Problem I'm having is where to begin!? Hahaha. The oil and trans have been serviced(in need of an ATF swap) already. Ctis system is kaput rn, but I want to keep it. And the list goes on and on. Any suggestions as to critical things to take a look at? The only current known issues are a hydraulic leak at the spare rack, and a shake from hell at 55mph of the cab.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Yeah I've been perusing the forums and I saw that was a common issue. Plan on making a list and getting started. Problem I'm having is where to begin!? Hahaha. The oil and trans have been serviced(in need of an ATF swap) already. Ctis system is kaput rn, but I want to keep it. And the list goes on and on. Any suggestions as to critical things to take a look at? The only current known issues are a hydraulic leak at the spare rack, and a shake from hell at 55mph of the cab.
Seems that a really common easy to do thing is looking at the drive shafts. They need to be indexed. Where the "front of the shaft" and "back of the shaft" should line up with each other. Out of an abundance of caution, the most common thing is to carry the shafts to be balanced. Shaking itself to death appears to be a common thing. If they all look good (indexed) look for weights that may have been knocked off on the tube of the shaft - where they were balanced somewhere in its lifetime.

Opinions are like the anatomy - where everyone has one - but if your transmission is changing gears, isn't overheating, or otherwise giving a problem leaving the oil (type) alone might be good. Seems to me that our military has no oil shortage. They put something in it for a reason and I would suggest changing the fluid - but put back whatever it had in it.

The rubber bushings on the cab are easy to see. You might give them a look. That rubber and the air bags on the back of the cab do an amazing amount of work to improve the ride.

CTIS needs some sort of acronym. Maybe Completely Terrible Idiotic System is one idea :cool: . Funny how things work. Mine was completely functional when I got it. Then out of the blue, I started getting all 5 lights blinking. Sometimes it would work, other times not at all other than blinking lights. A good resource is a member here Suprman is willing to share good CTIS information. He also has parts that are as reasonable as you will find. There are little rubber diaphragms on the wheels. They can be time consuming to replace (bolts tend to break off) but that is an easy cheap fix. Buying at least one replacement is a good plan in case something breaks...

Good supply of parts:

Here is a pretty good diagnostic for CTIS:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks