• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Thanks to csmdavis, my M1009 recovery wasn't too bad

45FMJoe

This is a little overdue because it's been a little over a month now, but I still need to thank Jeff (csmdavis) for all his help. He was a life saver. I won a kinda rough M1009 from Camp Shelby. Myself, my father and my brother-in law drove to Hattiesburg, MS on a Saturday morning. From Tallahassee,FL pulling a trailer in my dad's '04 F-150 we made it in something around 6ish (7?) hours. Jeff picked up my CUCV off the GL lot during the week so I could pick it up on the weekend. The GL description said the truck did not run, but Jeff had it running with the tiniest shot of starting fluid. Once it fired up, it ran beautifully. While we were at the chateau de Jeff, he started showing my dad everything we needed but didn't have for the CUCV and our M35A2. I can't even remember everything we bought from him, I've got prospecting tools, spare wheel for my M116A3, new window for the deuce, and about a million other things. Oh, plus we load tested the batteries and found one was bad. Never fear, Jeff had a bunch of good ones for cheap.

So we eventually load up the truck on the trailer and we decide we're going to go eat some local BBQ. We pull out of his neighborhood, hit the main road and I notice smoke coming out of the trailer axle. It was bad, there wasn't hardly anything left of the bearings. It took forever on the side of the road to get the bits of the old bearings off the spindle, new bearings from the auto parts store (two trips to get the correct ones). And if it wasn't for Jeff going home to get some tools and his cousin showing up with a bastard mill file we would have been in a heap of trouble. It was dark by the time we got everything going again, and Jeff called his friend who owns the BBQ restaurant. The guy was just about to close but he agreed to stay for us. It had been a long day, the few hour axle ordeal sucked and we were all starving. So the guy at Stonewall's BBQ made us a deal we couldn't refuse - everything leftover from the day for $75. Put it this way, we were still eating ribs, chicken and brisket for a week!! It was phenomenal, probably the best BBQ I've ever had. If you're ever in Hattiesburg, you HAVE to stop by Stonewall's BBQ. Tell Dave the owner that Jeff Davis and those three crazy guys from Florida with the Blazer on a trailer sent you. :p

You would think this saga was complete, right? You would be incorrect. At 0100 hours at almost the Alabama/Florida line a valve stem on a trailer tire broke. That was an exciting $100 roadside emergency repair. It took the guy longer to drive out than it did to change the valve stem. We were finally able to finish up the trip and get back to my brother-in law's house in Tallahassee about 0530 which means our trip took almost exactly 24 hours!

It was an interesting trip to say the least. I never did post this to thank Jeff for all his help, without him I wouldn't have the CUCV I've always wanted. Thank you very much Jeff, and if you ever need any help in SC you know my number. [thumbzup]

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks