• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

That was dumb....

moriboy

Well after receiving a fresh set of valve cover gaskets from Eriks, I had no excuse to not check and adjust my valve clearance. While that process went smooth, I did something really dumb! Somehow, while climbing on the front bumper, I accidentally kicked and broke the winch clutch lever:mad:
I searched around for a replacement but didn't find one. Anyone out there have a spare they are willing to sell?

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's cast, I can weld it, but cast welding is an art. OK, I can't resist...picture Ralph Wiggham from the Simpsons...Ha Ha!!

On a serious note, If you have a torch set, bevel the edges, heat both sides of the break...with the lever removed...get it red and then use a nickel rod and It'll be good as new. Cast needs to be pre heated.

plym49

Heat it cherry red with a rosebud tip to preheat, then weld it with the right type of rod, then do not let it cool but bury it in sand and leave it overnight. Cooling V E R Y slowly is important.

Militoy

I also busted one - and even with expert cast iron brazing including a thorough cleaning, preheat and anneal - the braze job only lasted around a year before it broke again. I was lucky - and spotted (2) replacement levers in the "unidentified" hodgepodge bin at a local surplus dealer. I would go ahead and make the repair - but keep your ears and eyes open for a replacement. Luckily - most drivers only use the winch on an occasional basis. So a repaired lever may last you for years. Just watch where you put your boots!:twisted:

Last edited:

moriboy

Thanks for the input guys. I'll try to braze it. If anyone has a spare, I promise I won't break it!

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All great ^^ advice. Can you post a picture of it? Might be another way to jury rig something if you don't / can't get it welded or find something. Might be able to fab up a new one from steel for example.

Militoy

All great ^^ advice. Can you post a picture of it? Might be another way to jury rig something if you don't / can't get it welded or find something. Might be able to fab up a new one from steel for example.
Broaching a piece of steel to dupe the lever would be somewhat expensive. But a simple hole in a (bent) flat bar with a threaded set screw hole to hold the lever from rotating would work - as long as the shaft were counter-drilled to accept the set screw. It wouldn't be quite as elegant as the OEM lever - but it would definitely work.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well after receiving a fresh set of valve cover gaskets from Eriks, I had no excuse to not check and adjust my valve clearance. While that process went smooth, I did something really dumb! Somehow, while climbing on the front bumper, I accidentally kicked and broke the winch clutch lever:mad:
I searched around for a replacement but didn't find one. Anyone out there have a spare they are willing to sell?
Pretty sure I have a NOS one with the tightning bolt broke off, just needs to be drilled out.:driver:

poppop

I have welded many cast pieces and never had a failure even though I was told I could not weld some of these pieces. Grind both pieces on all sides on a bevel till you have about a quarter inch thicknest left in the middle. You need nichol rods for cast. One eighth inch will work good. set it up in position and make a pass on one side. Weld only in the bottom of the bevel, don't try to fill it up on the first pass. Take your chipping hammer and ping it real good. The pinging releaves the stress in the metal. Flip it over and repeat and keep flipping and welding and pinging until its done. You can cool it in sand if you want but I never have. Just don't put water on it. I am sure someone will tell me it can't be done but as I said I have never had a failure. Try it, what do you have to lose. Nichol rods are expensive so you may can buy a another one cheaper but I like the challenge of fixing my own.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks