• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The 666 is finally home

White666

After a long day, my truck is finally home sitting in front of my house. It is amazing how many neibors I have that I had never met till this thing was rolling down off the lowBoy. Not sure how many were scared and how many were just in awe of this thing sitting there.

Anyways, im heading to bed but I will post more pictures in the morning...again...the sun was setting and the girlfriend was taking cell phone pictures....so nothing good to really see, but i'll post the best one tonight as a teaser.

Also, does anyone have a manual for the WWII white 666 or for an early Cummins H-series?....I got it cranking, but it didn't even try to fire off and no smoke. I did prime the old dual disk pump and crack a couple injector lines so the fuel is trying to move through....It is pretty old though, it will get drained before I get to crazy with the truck. The truck is cranking with 2 6v (12v total) batteries. When did they 1st go the 24v set-ups? Could I drop in 1 12v in plave of the 2x 6v'S

Attachments

paulfarber

I have to do my little 'don't crank the motor till you service it rant'. Sorry, but its your turn :)

Service that engine, clean the filters, change the oil, use fresh gas READ THE TMs!

You just found and purchased a rare MV and now your just gonna stomp on the starter and hope for the best?

It may not be staring because there are mice in the intake or water in a cylinder, or X or Y or Z.

Ok, rant off, sorry, had to be done.

White666

ok...A little more info to prevent further rants.......Prior to paying for the truck - fluids were drained, inspected and changed in the engine, trans, t-case. The fluid in the diff's was just checked no service needed. Engine was turned over by socket/breaker bar to ensure it was not locked up (very good compression by feel). The belts were all sprayed down with belt dressing and allowed to soak. The lines on the injectors were opened up and the pump was manually pumped (the dual disk pumps do have a plunger, and parts are about impossibe to find. it was WELL primmed) till all injector lines were clear of air. All air pressures were checked in the tires, ID plates were located and any puddles or evidence of leaking was noted and traced back to what ever component could be leaking. Up till the truck was parked in 2000.....it had been used to move houses (seriously) outside of south phoenix till the mid 90's when the guy I bought the truck from(A very knowlageable vintage international and MV collector in Leveen az) picked it up, installed the boom and used it as a tractor around his farm. It was then parked with his international collection ( next to a very nice M123) in his fenced storage yard. The truck was started and moved occasionally.

I do appreciate constructive critisism, and this may be my 1st MV of this size. I have been buying and selling classic cars and trucks for 17 years now with 100+ in my name over the years, so a pre purchess/use inspection is not something that I skip. If I felt that the engine was not ready to spin over, then I woudn't have attempted it.

As far as reading the TM's....reread my 3rd paragraph on the 1st post and direct me to the propper TM's to read. A call to boyce Equipment and a few others is already planned for tomorrow. Info on the Cummins H-6 in almost non-existant on the web aside from everytone explaining how crappy th DD pump is. The Timken axles are similar to the rockwell axles....just alot bigger(compared to the 5-tons) with no data plates that I have been able to locate yet to get info off of. As stated, the 666 is a rare bird, the only info on the net is the same generic height/weight on about 12 different sites....not sure which was the 1st, but they all have the same info, just in different color font.

Ok, im heading back to bed, my quick reply turned into a rant all of my own. Thanks to everyone and anyone who replys for the constructive critisism, but it doesn't help without specific references and steps to follow. I am here to learn from others experiances, but you can only learn so much from "gezz your dumb" posts.

White666

Also, I do have the list of operation/maintence/parts and crane manuals...I CAN download them, but I prefer hard copies to review. Each is 250+ pages except for the crane usage....its only 103.

White666

Ha, you never know...what part of spokane are you in ranchand? I live there most of my life, out in the ponderosa area, went to school out in freeman for a while and spent a lot of time working pretty much all around spokane metro area.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When you crank it are you mashing on the foot starter switch? If so that is the series-parallel switch. It connects the two 6 volt batteries to 12 volts for the starter, and then when you release the pedal, back to 6 volts for the lights, etc. That old Cummins will need a shot of either to wake up from it's slumber. Probably every cold start. Make sure your neighbors understand you won't be keeping this beauty (in our eyes) in front of your house or there will be trouble.

White666

Ahh...the move to AZ via utah then south korea was the idea of the united states air force....can't keep me in one location more then 3-4 years.

White666

Ok, after a morning of inspecting the condition on the wire harnesses in this truck, I've decided that it will be 100 time more cost and time effective to just rewire the entire truck. Most of the wiring currently in the truck is the original cloth wraped stuff that has been out in the AZ heat and weather for who knows how long and is brittle, corroded and just plane falling apart.

I dug through my hotrod parts collection and found a complete "Haywire" 6 circut 12v wire kit that I think I will be installing. I will convert all the original lights to work off of the 12v system. All of the original gauges are sun bleached and rusted, and a couple have been bypassed to some better stewert warner gauges, so I think I will be going to all new SW gauges to. Basicly update the truck to full 12v system negitive ground with a couple extra curcits to run any accessories I might add later on...drop down tv, sterio and subs and of course the cell phone charger and GPS down the road...:roll: jk. was working alone again, no free hands to snap the pictures.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Exactly what h-cummins is in the truck, can you read the engine data plate, I have a old Motor's truck manual(10th edition), it gives 8 h-models, from 150hp @ 1800 to 300hp @ 2100 ,this book covers the specs, to rebuild, I have no way of scanning the pages(25,) or I would.
If you can find someone to scan it for you, that would be cool, as long as I get it back,
If you need info from it, you can call-703-789-6705

Last edited:

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've been messing with a couple of old cummins in a WWII Navy locomotive recently- going to upgrade the pumps to PT pumps and replace the onces on it. If you need parts, I think we have about 8-10 long blocks laying around... Came out of WWII patrol craft was what I was told. I think they maybe HB or B engines though, not sure how different it may be.

Here's a video of me getting one engine started after a long slumber...
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBmAaAd7fkM[/media]

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
But did you get the other one started?

Inquiring minds want to know.

sw

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've been messing with a couple of old cummins in a WWII Navy locomotive recently- going to upgrade the pumps to PT pumps and replace the onces on it. If you need parts, I think we have about 8-10 long blocks laying around... Came out of WWII patrol craft was what I was told. I think they maybe HB or B engines though, not sure how different it may be.

Here's a video of me getting one engine started after a long slumber...
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBmAaAd7fkM[/media]
VERY NICE.... Congrats on resurrecting that little engine. Good luck with kick starting the other end.

Are those engines and rolling stock your "personal" collection?

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nope, not my personal collection, but might as well be, no one else wants to mess with it. Steve, I haven't gotten the other end running yet. The DB pump seals blew, so I have to wait until the PT pumps come back from the rebuilder. He's having a **** of a time finding parts, and he's having to upgrade a lot of stuff inside, for the better.

Hijack over. :-o

White666

I have the lowest bottom of the barrel H1 model....or so i am told....the tags are not where they should be on this engine, as it was rebuilt at some point after '68 and the rebuilders tag in there now where the factory one should be(the rebuilder is still in business, opened shop in '68....doesn't remember this truck). I am starting to suspect that this engine may have be in a gen set before it was put into this truck. It has a long rod to the front of the engine that I believe is the linkage to a manual decompression set up the I haven't seen on any of the other early H series engines I seen pictures and video for.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks