• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The birth of a Parts truck

Andrmorr

I was going thru some of my military photos and thought someone here might be interested in a photo of how a parts truck is created...

An inert 2,000-pound laser-guided bomb strikes its target after being launched from an altitude of 4,000 feet, 1977.

Birth of a PARTS truck.jpg

74M35A2

How can it hit at that much of a horizontal angle if it is an un-propelled free drop bomb, and has no wings to carry it horizontally, just tiny tail fins to keep it oriented vertically?

Andrmorr

I was going thru some of my military photos and thought someone here might be interested in a photo of how a parts truck is created...

An inert 2,000-pound laser-guided bomb strikes its target after being launched from an altitude of 4,000 feet, 1977.

View attachment 587510

I thought it was cool how the photo caught the nose cone of the GBU just as it was piercing the side window...

Andrmorr

This is probably just one frame from a high speed camera filming at a rate of 1,000 frames (or more) per second. They simply picked out the most dramatic frame to publish as a still shot.
Oh I definitely agree with you since I used to do that kinda work as an AFOSI tech agent... but it is a testament to the speed of the impact that the nose cone is piercing the glass instead of breaking it, and the fraction of time to capture that is impressive...I've had to film special events like this where the results came out that one frame was on one side of perfect, and the next frame was on the other...this one just happened to be dead on...

NovacaineFix

View attachment 587510

Craigslist ad would read as follows:

Vintage Military Vehicle
Great Project truck for the price.

Ran well when last parked.
Great opportunity to own a piece of military history.
Must move fast, call now!

Andrmorr

Craigslist ad would read as follows:

Vintage Military Vehicle
Great Project truck for the price.

Ran well when last parked.
Great opportunity to own a piece of military history.
Must move fast, call now!
From my experience with these type of test the hardest thing would be picking up the pieces...you will need some hiking boots and a bag lunch since I've seen some pieces as far as 2000 ft away...that was our standoff distance and it wasn't far enough to keep one piece from whistling by like a rabid Frisbee...

JohnnyBM931A2

From my experience with these type of test the hardest thing would be picking up the pieces...you will need some hiking boots and a bag lunch since I've seen some pieces as far as 2000 ft away...that was our standoff distance and it wasn't far enough to keep one piece from whistling by like a rabid Frisbee...
In that case, you might want to add the following to the Craiglist ad: "Might need paint job." Have to make sure you're honest about the condition rofl

red

Probably the base plate, nose cone, or one of the bomb lugs. They fly the furthest in a detonation.

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll take a chance on the winch!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks