• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The Centipede aka my new 1988 m35a2c

zanther

I bought Wade's "extra" deuce this week and it's now traveling via flatbed to me. Hope to have it home in the next few days. She runs great but I chose discretion (shipping) over valor (Self driving) due to time/distance and the fact that I haven't worked on a large truck in about 15 years.

Here's a few teaser photos that Wade was kind enough to take for me.

I'd like to call it Unicorn due to being that elusive AirForce contract model, but my coworkers held a contest and it came down to Octopus (due to the rear dualies) or Centipede ( after I explained the Super Single plan).

Current plans aren't too crazy,
the aforementioned tires, (bidding on some bare 12R20 XZL's right now)
Speaking of which, I might need to request help with an 8 tire pickup local-ish, depends on when the Centipede arrives.
troop seats, bows, cargo cover ( might already have a line on free a cargo cover one of my cousins has)
duel fuel tank
Seat upgrades
A3 muffler
General restoration
and if I can find a an air-o-matic I'd like that ,but following some threads on upgrading to true hydraulic power steering.

20160816_151136.jpg20160816_151740.jpg20160816_151710.jpg20160819_134524.jpg20160816_152435.jpg

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I suggest you wait and score a complete, 10k PTO winch kit from a fellow SS member. Installation would be straight forward and then you would own what is in my opinion the deuce trifecta: dropsides, winch and hardtop!

Rick

rustystud

Zanther , looks like your a neighbor ! I'm between Woodinville and Duvall myself. Drive by Maltby all the time. Especially in spring time going out to "Flower World" .

zanther

Hey RustyStud!

Good to know you're nearby! No word yet from the truck driver, as one might expect, I'm not so patiently waiting on that phone call.

First boxes of parts came in last night too.
20160821_012448754_iOS.jpg20160821_012539821_iOS.jpg

Jericho

Ahh the heady spring like days awaiting a deuce , many of us have been in your same shoes, the smell of canvas, diesel fuel green paint in your veins , and parts that some how just show up, some never to be installed at all, Welcome to the big green army truck support group!

rustystud

Ahh the heady spring like days awaiting a deuce , many of us have been in your same shoes, the smell of canvas, diesel fuel green paint in your veins , and parts that some how just show up, some never to be installed at all, Welcome to the big green army truck support group!
Yes those boxes of parts bought and stored away for later use. It's like Christmas time when I come across some now since I've forgotten of a lot of things I've already bought !

zanther

Just got the call! He just left Portland so just be here by noon. Had an expensive trip to the woodinville NAPA this morning, grease and accoutrements for first service before i go joy riding. Err i mean go on a shakedown cruise

zanther

For your perusing pleasure.

It was interesting getting it off the semi, driver was scared to drive it so I had to back it off , wasn't quick enough to get both ramps in the photo but it was quite the incline.

Replaced the Engine Stop cable, it was working but missing the knob inside so it was an awkward grab to stop the engine.

Adjusted the idle screw, it does not like to stay running below 700 RPM, though that may be part of the next thing I found.

Took her out for a cruise to fill up and found out I need to do some troubleshooting, max speed is about 35 on flat ground, up a slight incline to the fuel station left me at 30, though she did run 50 going back down that same grade. At least I know the speedo is correct as the speed limit is 45 and everyone runs it at 50.

There was/is still a leaky connection at the IP, drips diesel so I'm betting I'm not getting full fuel flow into the engine and thus my lack of power. I really need to troubleshoot this as I'm scheduled to pickup a generator, 8 XZL's and a canvas/bow setup on Weds and it's a 1 hr drive in a normal car.... 30 mph just ain't gonna cut it. I had tightened the fitting but saw it dripping again after my fuel run.

Installed Keyed door knobs as well today, It won't stop anyone interested in taking the truck, but it'll hopefully stop casual thievery of the cab contents. I have a 12 volt jump pack with USB port in there now to power my phone.

20160822_222655247_iOS.jpg20160822_222658103_iOS.jpg20160822_224202314_iOS.jpg20160823_022059284_iOS.jpg20160823_024614731_iOS.jpg20160823_030601399_iOS.jpg

Edit : Forgot to mention that battery charging was in the yellow, and I was only seeing 24.6 volts at the batts. Wade was kind enough to tell me some of the woes of batteries in Deuces so I found a loose connection and am now charging both batteries, it's got 2 civvie batteries with posts in it currently.
Do ya'll disconnect the batteries in your trucks when plugged in for normal batt maintenance? I'm thinking that it's not needed if I'm connecting 1 12 volt charge to each battery, but I did just to be safe this time.

Last edited:

zanther

Funny story about the delivery , I live at the end of a private road or 5 houses, it's a tiny little road so I had to meet the semi at the transition point of public to private as it's the closest "big" spot to offload. It's also where our mailboxes are.

Enough backstory, so I'm checking my mail while waiting on the truck and my new installed stop cable is there. I tear into the packaging and am ooing and ahhhing over the fancy new cable... when one of the neighbors I don't know turns the corner to left the neighborhood. I get the mean mug from the lady driving, I'm assuming she thought I b=might be stealing mail etc.

Well 20 minutes later as we're unloading the truck, she comes back. and stops and gives me the first compliment on the truck , smiles and says that's really really cool! I thanked her and let her know I'd be doing some restoration on it and then we parted ways.

I guess we're friends now?!

zanther

Spent some time today on the IP, some of the mounting nuts had worked their way loose and there a fine sputtering of fuel. After tightening, i took it out for a spin, better power though that might be me just getting used to the truck. I was pretty excited yesterday on the first drive so everyhting seemed hyper acute.

Still weeping a bit from one pump line fitting. Any tricks on getting the lines to stop weeping at the IP?

zanther

I used the COSTCO fuel once in the F250 I just sold, got terrible fuel mileage, like 3 MPG less than normal without other factors changed.
Maybe it was a bad batch?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks