• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The "HOOD IN THE FACE" club

Blythewoodjoe

Since I don't mind bringing shame to my family and I wanted to start a new club, I thought I would post what happened to me yesterday. I hope this will help everyone remember to check everything over good before you head out.

I left my house with a load of scrap metal in my M813 and got up to 55 for the first time in a while. Suddenly there was a slamming sound combined with a blocking of my vision. Yes, my hood was in my face. Since it's narrower than the cab, I was able to drive another mile to a safe place to pull off. I managed to beat it down and latch it. When back home and beat it some more. I did not take pictures because feeling this stupid is only componded by pulling out a camera.

Best part, this was a brand new hood. I pulled it off of a truck I plan to sell one day because I wanted to best to keep. Appartly this is not a good "Christian" practice. I will probably change my habbits. Now the "for sale" truck as the best hood.

Joe
"Hood in the Face" club founder

rickf

Gets your attention doesn't it?:shock::shock::shock:
I don't know about a deuce but in a jeep it is a BIG air brake too. Slowed me down fast enough that the guy behind me rear ended me before I even had a chance ti hit the brake! No real damage and we both got a laugh out of it along with the cop when it was all sorted out.

Rick

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Happened to me in high school in a 84 monte carlo. Just had left church playing softball. I had opened the hood earlier that afternoon to show someone something, but I didn't latch it all the way back for some reason. Folded it up right on top of the window. Couldn't see a thing, in a turn. Luckily no one was coming. I let off the gas and held my line while trying to gauge where I was looking out the drivers window. Never hit anything thankfully. Had to pry the hood off the windshield/roof of the car. Tried to jump on the hood but it was so warped/bowed it wouldn't latch. I hate to admit it, but I took a wrench out and removed the hood and tossed it in the ditch by the road. :oops:

I'm a little OCD when it comes to hood latching. If it shakes going down the road, I'll pull over and double check it.

Come to think of it, I'm also OCD when it comes to strapping things down. But that's another story...

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I check mine in my pre trip inspection(yes I have forgotten or omitted this occasionally).

If I forgot to look, I always stop at the end of my road, to double check(OCD). I remember Mangus doing the "automatic hood opening trick", and have never wanted it to happen in an MV.

Had it happen once in my pickup truck, after doing an oil change. Wasn't too happy about that.

You're not alone Joe. Thanks for the reminder. 2cents

Flyingvan911

I knew some teenagers who were running downa country road with the hood unlatched on their pickup. It was bouncing against the safety latch but a gust of wind caught the hood and pulled it up. It took out the hood and windshield. The worst part is they we just too lazy to stop and push the hood down to latch it properly.

goldneagle

Thank god my hood has extra security. I have 2 padlocked hasps securing the hood on my M109A2. I installed them after someone mentioned that a thief could open the hood and release the engine kill switch manually. ( I have a lock on my kill switch as a theft deterrent) So if the 2 rubber hood latches fail I am sure the hasps will not!

I rather learn from someone else's mistakes.

Katahdin

Never happened to me, but I've observed my hood unlatched after moving the truck around in the yard. I try to remember to look at the hood latches, in my pre-flight inspection, during engine warm up as I'm walking around to the front to check the turn signals.

steelandcanvas

I have forgotten a few times to secure the spring latches on both sides of the hood, luckily the safety latch worked in my favor. The hood bounce is a dead giveaway that something is about to go very wrong. :oops:

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
1st you say it, then you do it..........Glad you didn't have anything else bad happen.:shock:

armytruck63

This almost happened to me while driving my dad's GPW years ago (I was 16 at the time). I got up to about 40 on the drive home from a car show when I noticed the hood get "light" on the front end and just start to lift. I slammed on the brakes, pulled over to the side of the road and latched the hood.

My dad would have killed me if I wrecked the hood and windshield on his nicest jeep.

Last edited:

Blythewoodjoe

Are you also a member of the "Half a pair of BVD's sucked into the anal orifice club"?
Negative! I don't know why it didn't it spook me, but I instantly thougtht "I just waisted ______ dollars". I guess I do enough dumb stuff that I now think about how much I'll have to work to pay for the screw up.

ODdave

If you ever own a 94-02 dodge truck you will make it a habit of always checking your hood. There's a reason you don't see hoods or hinges for them at the junk yard fat lady sings

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks