• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The last F-4 departs Davis-Monthan

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
F14's were crunched real fast so Iran couldn't get parts via back door means.
Yup. Also, there is an office in DoD that is actively looking for anyone out there who has any stockpiles of old, surplus spare parts for F-14s, that are buying them up only to scrap them. I know one instance out west where one guy had 8-10 cockpit canopies, brand new in the crates, for the F-14. DoD paid the selling price of the parts, then crunched them.

No spare parts for our enemies.

saddamsnightmare

December 25th, 2013.

Who knows, if the Iranians cut back their nuclear program, who's not to say we may be sending them F-16's to replace their F-14's? Yesterdays enemy can often be todays ally, depending on who your combined enemies list contains....

Merry Christmas!

Belchfire

I worked on F-4D's at Nellis in the mid to late 70's. We sent our F-111A's to Mountain Home, and tired F-4D's began showing up. We reworked them, got them flying, and then they would send them to a Guard unit. Our pilots were the best. I didn't know him then, but one was Sullenberger. Some of our birds had 1,2 or 3 red stars on their splitters. I left the Air Force in 79, and went to the Post Office in Hershey, Pa. I would see Air Guard F-4's flying over on their way to Fort Indiantown Gap's gunnery range (my son works there now as an AGR).

Merle

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Been in aviation my whole life, breaks my heart to see these great aircraft disappear, remember in the 50's seeing miles and miles of aircraft stored in Arizona. Now their all gone. My dad bought three TBM's for $800.00 each. He paid $900.00 dollars for a P51. And flew them all out to our maintenance base at Phoenix. If we had those today we would have a couple bucks, I could finish my Deuce.

Terrh

Amazing that you could get legit fighter aircraft so cheap back then, and now you have to be a zillionaire to even consider one that you could only use for yard art.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks