• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The official "How to omit & permanently seal 80x fuel tank drain hole" thread.

Chrispyny

The official "How to omit & permanently seal 80x fuel tank drain hole" thread.

My fix with new bungs on my 2000 mep-802a failed. Lost 4 gal of diesel in less than a few weeks. Made the fix with new bung, assumed i was good. Went back couple weeks later, fuel leaked out. No clue what i did wrong. I made sure not to overtighten or undertighten. The only thing i didn't do was add sealant of any kind on the threads between the fitting for the drain tibe, and the bung. From everything i read, i never remembered reading about a sealant so i never added any.

I considered removing the tank and having one welded up from aluminum at a welding shop without the drain hole, one i could remove more easily of required. Problem is that will be expensive. I still may. But for now, i'm entertaining the thought of sealing up the hole permanantly. My issue is, i want a reliable, 100% appropriate way to seal it up.

Or, maybe someone can tell me what i did wrong. The thing is, i'm Very mechanically inclined. I dunno what went wrong.. I'm beside myself at this point because i welded up a wagon to transport the genset from outside to inside, took it apart, fixed bung, and put it back on its pad over a period of a couple weeks while on a work stoppage.
I have since gone back to work, and am generally working from 730 to anywhere from 730pm to 930 pm. There is no planned end to the overtime. So needless to say, i'm upset that i have to do this all pver again.
I took such good care to do it all right the first time. So dissappointed.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
On one of the MEP-802A units which I replaced the upper fuel return bung and the lower drain line bung. I had to replace the drain line hose. One of the hose fittings was looking like it might have been the source of the leak, maybe not the bung. I took it over to a place which made an exact copy of the hose. All new bungs in place and new hose installed. All keeping dry and not leaking.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks