• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The starter is the weak link!

I posted a complaint about my M1009 about a month ago that the starter had gone bad for the third time. Had it towed to a local GM/Buick dealer who installed yet another starter on my truck. Ran perfectly until this past week when l turned the ignition key, and all that happened was that the starter motor spun--it did not engage the fly wheel. Back to the GM dealer for another starter, but, at least they covered the tow, and the starter was under warranty.

Curtisje

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I posted a complaint about my M1009 about a month ago that the starter had gone bad for the third time. Had it towed to a local GM/Buick dealer who installed yet another starter on my truck. Ran perfectly until this past week when l turned the ignition key, and all that happened was that the starter motor spun--it did not engage the fly wheel. Back to the GM dealer for another starter, but, at least they covered the tow, and the starter was under warranty.
So your just having bad luck with starters? It sounds like you have something going on that is causing your starters to fail. Good luck. I feel your pain.

Keith_J

Most older Delco parts are now made in China. The solution is to rebuild your originals, not hard to DIY starters and alternators.

royalflush55

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What starter did the GM dealer install?

MarcusOReallyus

Lots of starter problem threads lately. Funny how these things clump together. What year is your M1009? If you think it's anything other than 84, read this.

My GM Dealer called this morning and informed me that a Re-man starter had been put into my "86 Blazer about a month ago. Apparently, so internal part had broken and they would warranty the entire replacment starter. I will ask what brand they used. This will be the 4th starter I have had put in.
Thanks to all that repsonded.
Tom Lovinggood

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What’s the part number on your receipt?

HelluvaEngineer

Most older Delco parts are now made in China. The solution is to rebuild your originals, not hard to DIY starters and alternators.
^ this. I found a local guy with a great reputation who rebuilt 2 of them for me. Knew exactly what it was and the application. He also rebuilt my 1974 Kubota starter. If you are willing to ship to GA I'd be happy to provide the info.

LT67

The starter on my 85 M1008 has been completely rebuilt. Within less than 3mos it needed another bendix. Guess what now? It needs another bendix. Grrr...

Keith_J

The repair parts are also made overseas these days. You may not believe it but they can make defective bushings for the 27MT. The specs call for OD, ID, length and material but they will try to make the ID larger than the OD ;) Ok, that is over the top..but I had wheel cylinders that I spent 30 minutes with an angle grinder to get them to fit.

Well, I got my Blazer back from the shope this past Saturday. They warrantied the previous starter that they had placed about 6 weeks ago, and they re-imbursed me for the towing charge. It was a GM re-man starter. I will get the part number later today. It seems to be running very well. You know how it goes when you have to deal with re-man parts. Thanks to all that answered my link.
Tom Lovinggood

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks