• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The trail tells me what to remove

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
blazer new doors.jpgPut the Blazer on a diet to compensate for the weight gain from D60 + 14BFF, locked both ends: Top, back seat, tailgate, pintle hitch, doors. Moved the batteries to behind the passenger seat on the floor (optimas x 2). Spare lies flat on the floor. Wheel wells cut using a M35A2 front fender as a template. Loooots of lessons learned over the last couple of years :)

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks :) The doors are from a commercial source (PM me), very well engineered as the original hinges and latch are unchanged. Its bolt up.

The Blazer had a tendency to stand up on its rear wheels at step-like obstacles. After adjusting weight/CG, it doesn't do that anymore = good thing.

If I was restricted to only one modification, then it would be the front locker. That's what separates the herd into groups that can do technical trails and those who cannot. In my opinion, which is free ;)

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I have no cucv to put the doors on, don't get upset if I don't PM. I have a civillian2000 chevy with the 6.5, thats about as close as I'll get.

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, Ridenby, I'll get some pix up.
Should I wait until the cab cage gets installed before gimpyrobb test drives it? :)

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do not think that would work well here,too many mud holes,creeks,brush.
Yes, its OK here, I avoid mud like the plague: You could have twelve wheel drive and get stuck in mud :(

I saw pix elsewhere on this site where a fella got his 5-ton stuck in mud, so went to get his other 5-ton to pull it out, got both stuck. That was enough convincing for me.

As far as slinging stuff into the engine compartment goes, I travel veeerrry sloooowly. I budget one hour for each mile on the trail. IMG_2012.jpg

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks